Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strong signal on RF 36 WIVB/WNLO but recently it started doing random pixilation.

If I buy a filter, should I install it outside at the antenna or inside before the distribution amp?

And has anyone tested the $15 Philips vs the $30 Channel Master filter.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Dss as long as the filter is installed before any amplication is best.I would put it inside in your case for easy testing.The filters generally cut into RF 36 by 1 or 2 db .I am using the Philips.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a CM from amazon. I plugged it in the back of my newer SONY and WIVB RF 36 went up 3 dB on the SNR meter.

Sometime this week I will go up on the roof and install it before the pre-amp and report back.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The CM filter works well, put it BEFORE any amplification so you won't push through signals you don't want to amplify.

If you have a preamp outside, it'll have to be before the preamp.

I bought some no-name filter from Amazon for $10, it was garbage. Left a bad review that amazon wouldn't post, that shows you how honest they are. Never got my money back either.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The CM filter works well, put it BEFORE any amplification so you won't push through signals you don't want to amplify.
I went up to the roof this week. I plugged in the CM filter into the AD VHF combiner before the pre-amp
and everything is perfect. There are no more break ups on RF 36 and signals are strong,

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I know this thread is a few months old, but I wanted to add:

Remember to get a filter that also covers 600Mhz. Rogers purchased 600MHz spectrum and has deployed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts