Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, this is a bit of a rant.

So, my dad asked for a map update for his Christmas present. I wasn't too keen on the idea, but I agreed anyway. He brought his GPS over one day, and I realized it would be best to load everything on his computer instead of trying to do it on mine, since it may conflict with my maps and GPS. Today he brought his computer over and left it as my place while he did some running around. I installed the software and created an account for him on Garmin's website since he didn't have one of his own (I asked). Then I proceeded to use the Updater program to load a new version of the software onto his GPS before downloading the maps. I bought the maps using his information, and my billing info, and went to install them. ERROR! The GPS is registered to someone else. Ummm....okay, apparently he did have an account on Garmin's site, but he didn't know what it was. Now I'm stuck because I have a map which can't be loaded onto his GPS (which I've been charged for) and a GPS which no one knows the account information for. It would be been nice if Garmin's little program gave me some kind of notice BEFORE I bought the map which notified me that the device belonged to someone else and I wouldn't be able to install a new map under my current account. Awesome Garmin, just awesome. I'm going to be calling them in the next few days, and if they don't find an easy way to get the map I paid for onto the GPS I'll be contacting my credit card company and disputing the charges.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So he didn't even try to retrieve his old account information? or he forgot to mention he created one? What about trying to transfer the GPS device from the old to the new? You'll probably need a Garmin Rep to fix your issue, as you've already noted you're going to contact them. GL!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Garmin customer service is worse than Rogers or Bell. I was on hold for 55 minutes. If you can't get them to fix it, call your credit card company and have them delete the charge since you're not getting a product you paid for.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Costa, he swore he didn't create an account. Thing is, someone in his household did, because that's the only way it could be registered. That's the problem when you're dealing with people in their early 60s - they didn't grow up with computers and they don't remember everything they've done with them.

I tried re-registering the device, but it just came up with an error message saying the device is already registered. So the device is on one account, and the maps are on another, and there's no way a user can merge the two without the help of someone at Garmin. And, as RobertF mentioned, that may not be the easiest thing to do.

Thanks for the understanding, and for allowing me to vent here. I do feel a little bit better - I'll let you know how it goes when I call them tomorrow (I think I may just record the phone call...).

Gord

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'm not sure why you would hate Garmin......ok, maybe they should not have allowed you to buy the map without a registered GPS on your account, but the other side is that they are protecting customers by not allowing you to re-register a product.

Give them a call, it should be easy to get resolved.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, that's exactly why I hate Garmin. I had to give them access to the device through their web plugin so it knew I was upgrading a map, so why don't they have a check built in that says "hey, you don't have any devices registered on your account to update..."? They made it easy to buy the map update, and impossible to actually update the thing.

I'm on hold now (30-35 mins), so I'll post again in a bit once I get through.

----------

Update: Garmin deleted the GPS registration on the old account so I could register it to the new one. Pretty simple once I got through (that 35 min wait time was exactly right). I suggested to the lady that they write something that blocks people from downloading a map update for a unit that's not on their account and she said it's a great idea, and that it would cut down on a lot of their support calls (apparently lots of people forget their login information and create a new account for a map update).

Gord

·
Registered
478 Posts
You should have tried it on your own pc - just kidding.

Wouldn't mind knowing though if someone with two units is able to update both of them on the same pc using two accounts or does it just become a big mess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Wouldn't mind knowing though if someone with two units is able to update both of them on the same pc using two accounts or does it just become a big mess. "

I did exactly that on my PC. I set up an account and downloaded new maps for my GPS, then set up an account for my Mother and did the same for hers.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you should be able to, since you have to select the GPS from a dropdown menu when you install it. You also have to enter an authorization code, which appears to be "uploaded" to the GPS before the maps are transferred.

Gord

·
Banned
63 Posts
quote:"That's the problem when you're dealing with people in their early 60s - they didn't grow up with computers and they don't remember everything they've done with them."

Please don't generalize! A lot of people in their early 60's grew up with computers.

I bet you don't know what an 80 column card is either. course wouldn't do you any good if you did!:)\

But seriously, computers today are what they are because of some of us in our early 60's or older. Please, some respect!
People are moving to 64bit. Yahoo, I was working with 64 bit when you were in diapers, Sonny!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts