Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an iPhone 4 with the 6gb $30 plan on August 18.

Before I reached 3 weeks (Tuesday August 31st), I got a text from Rogers saying that I had reached 80% of my monthly limit. From then on I turned off my cell data on my iphone through settings/general/network. I only turned it on again on Wednesday Sept 2nd to use the maps function that guided me to a location that I wanted to go to. The trip only took about 30 minutes of use, the rest of my time was spent at home connected to my wifi connection. By Thursday Sept 2nd, I got a text from Rogers saying I reached my limit.

How is this possible? The Rogers Website won't let me see my data usage yet because I haven't reached my next invoice period yet so I can't see how I managed to reach it.

My regular 3G use was:
-Checking emails (a few times at work, and when I'm out of the house)
-Watching a few youtube videos
-Doing a few google searches
-Using the maps and GPS function to guide me to a cottage up north and a couple other locations.

Is it possible to reach 6GB in 3 weeks with that kind of usage? Or is it more likely that Rogers gave me a smaller data limit for that month because I started half way through my first invoice period?

I plan on asking Rogers, but I was hoping I might get an answer from this forum before I'm able to get to the Rogers store.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
How many videos are a "few". Youtube really chews up the bandwidth.

The other stuff you describe shouldn't bring you close to 6G.

·
Registered
13 Posts
it is most likely because your data was added part way through a billing cycle and had a partial amount of the 6 gb data plan up until the end of your current billing cycle.....

·
Registered
640 Posts
Check the usage on the phone, settings general usage.

I stream all the time and never came close to 6gb, never even topped 2gb!

Fido has an app you can dl from apple that shows usage maybe Rogers does too?
Compare that to your phone data stats.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
even tho u have the my account ap, or go online you wont see ur data if yyour data plan is pro rated..

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Watching a few youtube videos
That's the likely culprit. A 6GB limit is not enough for such high bandwidth use.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
When you were using the GPS/maps, did you have the maps set to Satellite view (or hybrid)? That could chew up a lot of data, especially for a long trip.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
You can check your usage on the rogers.com site. Click on the "My Rogers" link (you'll have to enter name and password) and click on "Manage My Wireless", then select the "Data" tab, to see your usage.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I've never come close to my 6GB limit (I average about 500MB per month) and I watch YouTube videos, use Maps, and a fair amount of surfing. Sounds like something is wrong.

Edit: I've used tethering for over two years with my 3G and have hit 1GB a handful of times, if that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you

Thank you everyone for your quick responses.

I've maybe watched 4-5 youtube videos on 3G.

My usage says "Sent 15MB, Received 228MB" No Tether Data Usage

I tried using that app and logging into my rogers.com account. It says that they cannot show me my data usage because I have not reached my next invoice period yet.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
What does the web site say? Also, I don't think tether data is listed separately. Data is data, whether used by the phone or a tethered computer.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It seems like your account is showing properly on the website (or app), so maybe Rogers is sending the limit warnings to the wrong number (?).

Your usage that you describe certainly does seem much more in line with the 228MB than anything remotely approaching 6GB. Have you tried calling Rogers to check?

The only other thing I could think is that maybe there's a big app (something like The Elements on the iPad), that keeps trying to download via the app store, but never finishes. Any big apps you've bought?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Unless you jailbreak and download the app that tricks the phone into thinking it is connected to wifi when connected to 3G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mystery solved

Thank you very much everyone for your help everyone. But I finally got to the bottom of it all. Rogers made a mistake and gave me only 500MB per month. They have corrected it now and everything is running as it should.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts