Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm sure I'm in the same boat as many whom bought their first HDTV this past Boxing DAy. Which is how to get the old surround sound to match the TV?

Currently have a 1999 JVC 5.1 Dolby D system and 5 speakers/subwoofer. This model receiver does not have the optical connection for the TV.

So I need a new AV/AVR. I just want one that will get the digital and or HDMI surround sound for the DVD, but nothing fancy. My speaker set is not high end, just past entry level. If I can get DD for HD programs that's a plus.

From the store clerks I was told to get one that has enough audio/video connections for everything & then just connect the AVR to the TV with single HDMI. And that HDMI sound is still just digital 5.1 and the 7.1 is only useful with a 7 speaker system. Also that the receiver can input/output the 1080i signal. These guys put me on the right track?

Thanks for any help.

Wayne

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does your receiver have 5.1 analogue inputs? If it does, you can still use it, all you need is to buy a blu-ray player with 5.1/7.1 analogue output such as the Samsung C6500 ($179 @ Future Shop). What you do is connect the blu-ray player via HDMI to your TV and the 5.1 analogue output to your receiver's analogue 5.1 input.

I was in the same situation, I have a 1997 Technics receiver, I connected it this way and it works great. The quality of the audio is much better than DVD even using this very old receiver. At some point in the future, I will be upgrading to a new AVR, but this works pretty good for now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your tip, and I like your idea. I will look for the inputs. But really I'm after the digital surround sound. LIke the old system had. With analog, you just don't get the full surround theater experience.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
a good entry level AVR can be had for under 400
saw the Pioneer VSX-820 for 350 boxing day

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Just be sure that if you're going to be using any equipment with analogue video connections (composite, S-video, component video) that the AVR transcodes those signals to HDMI if you want only one connection to the TV. This is discussed in the "if only" FAQ I provided you in other threads and not all AVRs with HDMI or HDMI audio do this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for your tip, and I like your idea. I will look for the inputs. But really I'm after the digital surround sound. LIke the old system had. With analog, you just don't get the full surround theater experience.
If your receiver has the 5.1 input - you will still get Dolby Digital, DTS etc. (with surround) similar to your current set-up. In addition, you can now listen to TrueHD (and other blu-ray audio format) which is a few notches better than Dolby Digital.

Don't confuse the analogue signals with surround sound, these aren't mutually exclusive characteristics/features.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you have a player that has 5/7.1 outs and you have a receiver that has 5/7.1 ins (which should be clearly marked on the back of you receiver), then you will need 6/8 rca cables to get your sound. One for each channel (5 or 7) and one for your sub if you run one. Each cable will be running a discrete signal for that channel only from your player to your receiver and when you have all 5.1/7.1 going, that is how you get your surround sound.

I would suggest a newer hdmi receiver though as it will reduce all the clutter and confusion of cables with hdmi.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually you do depending on the BD. When the audio format on a disk lists Master Audio. this is the theater version of the sound. So if your player has 5.1 / 7.1 audio outputs and your AVR has the same inputs you get the best surround sound for the movie. A
Samsung C6500 BD has 7.1 RCA audio outputs for around 180.00

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I'm sure that cablerules was thinking of regular analogue audio (red/white) and not multi-channel audio connections, although I have provided him with the AVR FAQ.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the reciever I could set it on surround sound and then get D digital or DTS. If I shut off the digital surround it switched to analog. The sound then was no where near the quality of digital coming through the speakers. Like night and day difference. I used just one DTS cable I think.

THe HDTV has no connections for the receiver. It would just be then 5.1 to the DVD. I will check for that.

I did check some past articles that 57 provided.

Thks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It worked! I have 5.1 digital/DTS surround sound as like before. 5.1 sound DVD player to the reciever. Analog sound for TV channels. THE Blu-ray 5500 I got free with the TV purchase has an optical audio out to the receiver as well. NOw to get the HDMI surround for the HDTV channels is another challenge. I guess I need a new AVR for that?

Thanks for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts