Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a plasma tv and when I plugged the tv up and I try to watch it some of the channels shows static. Not all but majority. The HD channels show perfect it's just the other channels. Do you think it's the cable socket?? Someone please help me?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Can you provide more details please;

Make of TV, model too if possible?
HD Source, Cable TV, Satellite etc? Model too.
How you are connected from HD source to TV?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
58 inch panasonic 1080p plasma HDTV. I have brighthouse cable. No satelite. I do not have my cable box hook to this tv. I get basic cable through my complex so I just hook a regular cable cord to the cable socket. The HD channels are perfect it's the regular channels that show fussy looking. Please help

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Unless some channels aren`t encrypted. Just too much unknown information here.

My suggestion is to call your cable provider and ask them for help.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
jumpy27, that's not the case in the US. Many "OTA type" channels are unencrypted on US cable service providers - see the FAQ below.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271

I don't know why the SD (analogue) channels are not coming in properly, unless they are simply not very good quality as discussed in the following SD PQ FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18580

It's possible the signal to the home is not very good - a poor signal can affect the analogue channels' PQ while the digital (HD) channels can be perfect. I'd suggest the OP calls his/her service provider.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
No, the OP is in the States, where cable clearQAM is mandated for local OTA stations.

If you're not getting the analog cable channels, but you are getting clearQAM, its possible that you have your TV's tuner settings wrong. In the TV's setup menu, make sure the settings say "cable" or "hrc" or "irc", and not "antenna" or "air".

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Do you mean fuzzy? Did you read the FAQ on SD PQ I provided earlier? Have you called your service provider to have them check the signal strength?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant to say fuzzy. I'm going to call the cable service cause the people at my apartment complex isn't doing anything. It's just that cable socket. Everywhere else in the house works. It's just that hook up in the living room

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
If other TVs are fine, then perhaps there is a bad splitter somewhere in the apartment causing the issue at that TV. Have you tried moving the TV to one of the other outlets? HDTVs do tend to show the inadequacies of SD analogue signals, as discussed in the SD PQ FAQ provided earlier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts