Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Clark Connect which is an excellent LAMP gateway/server but being Linux won't run iTunes and is a bear to setup as a OSX Time Machine.

Almost every OS or device I've looked at seems lacking in one way or another. I even tried an Apple Time Capsule (Slow, no iTunes server). I would prefer it all in one box and run on an Intel Atom motherboard with two NICs.

Windows7, can it be setup as a server and time machine, it will run iTunes?

Ubuntu, untangle or any Linux distro. No iTunes (no Firefly isn't what I want, it has to work with AppleTV)

OSX? Need Mac hardware, I'd like it to run on an Intel dual core Atom Mini ITX

WHS never used it, can it be setup as a Router?

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use my Dlink 321 NAS for most of what you describe.

It's a NAS that comes with iTunes/DLNA/uPnp support built in, although I haven't tried them myself. Because it's a NAS, you can use it to make your Time Machine backups. It has a pretty good torrent client built in, and also has a pretty good hacker community coming up with additional uses for it all the time.

Not sure if you could use it as a gateway/router, but it is running a flavour of linux under the hood.

The only reason I would *NOT* recommend my particular model (321) is the slow gigabit speeds during transfers, 10MB/s :( Take a look at some of the NAS' out there, they're pretty flexible these days.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but the D-Link 321 iTunes support does not work with AppleTV. You need to be running the actual iTunes for that. There is some talk about using Ubuntu with iTunes 9.1 & WINE.

The firefly type sharing on that D-Link simply shows a massive list of tunes to itunes clients. You don't get coverflow or any sort of organization.

Seems getting iTunes working with WHS is a chore too. YMMV.

Can't beleve there is nothing out there that can't do it all. Even a Mac Mini is a viable option but isn't really a LAMP server plus you need that second NIC port (same goes for the HP & ACER servers)

As for time machine support you need more than just a network share, it needs to support AFP.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What might work.
Gateway / Server / NAS = ClarkConnect community edition (free)

itunes server = Windows 7 home or just turn on my PC when I want the full library (stored on the NAS) as AppleTV will automatically add everything the iTunes machine is sharing. Saves a little on the hydro bill rather than on 24/7

As for Time Machine, still working on it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here's what I wound up using after several trial and error setups.

Netgear WNDR3700 dual band router
Synology DS110j NAS with a 1Tb WD Green HDD

Time Machine works no problem with the DS110j

Nice combo does everything except AppleTV specific iTunes sharing (it does regular iTunes shares just fine)

Everything so far works like a charm. Certainly better, more flexible & cheaper than using an Apple Time Capsule (which was prettier though)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts