Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the “More Like This” feature

I love the “More Like This” feature Rogers offers when I finish watching a program.

I can never tell what new shows I’m going to like – so I’m so glad Rogers has the great brain saving feature that tells me what I’ll like.

So when I finished watching Sunday Morning Futures with Maria Bartiromo on Fox News, Rogers helpfully informed me I’d like: Food Factory or Where God Weeps or e-talk

and for Melissa Harris-Perry on MS-NBC Rogers told me I’d like Food Factory or Where God Weeps or e-talk

and when I finished watching Pets TV, Rogers knew I’d like Food Factory or Where God Weeps or e-talk

Curios George3: Celluloid Ceilings, 3 fantomes chez les Hathaw… (I had forgotten that when I was a kid I wanted to learn French)

Coronation Street: Cutthroat Kitchens, The Social, Under the Dome, Dr. Phil, Blackstone

Teen Wolf: MasterChef Canada, The Young and the Restless, Coronation Street (but I don’t understand when I finished watching Coronation Street Rogers didn’t tell me about Teen Wolf)

Elopement: Coronation Street, Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever, Singin’ in the Rain

Pilates From the Inside Out: Coronation Street, Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever, Jane Eyre

Law and Order: Max Payne, Coronation Street, Serangoon Road

Hot in Cleveland: Baby Daddy, Good God, Major Crimes, Coronation Street

·
Registered
140 Posts
I luve this feature.

Taped F1 qualifying, as I was ready to hit play, I noticed the more like this

More like this recommended:::::::
She's funny Tha....
Divergent Serie...
Hot Pursuit
Preggoland (HD)

There are some sick puppies working for rogers when Preggoland is an alternative to F1 Qualifying.:frown

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love this feature. Tonight, I have scheduled "Fear the Walking Dead", a show about the start of the zombie apocalypse. Rogers thinks I might also like "Thomas and Friends", the story about an animated train engine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
"Citizen Gangster", the story of Edwin Elonzo Boyd, Canada's most famous bank robber brought up the suggestion of "The Great Muppet Caper", which is also about stealing.

"Beau Geste", the classic movie about the French foreign legion - Rogers suggests I might also like "The Lego Movie".

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tonight I was scheduling shows for next week. I set up the new Muppets series to record. Rogers thinks I might also like "Busty Cops" on a pay channel. The only relationship between the two that I can guess is that they both use a lot of foam padding.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Lately everything, whether it's a soccer game, or Downton Abbey, suggests "The Minions". Maybe Rogers had a cut of the proceeds on that.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I'm watching Game Of Thrones season 2, episode 6. Does it suggest Game Of Thrones season 2, episode 7? You must be joking. It suggests episodes from other seasons but never has it suggested the next episode. Whoever designed this interface must have done it in the laziest way possible. It's only common sense to suggest the next episode in an episodic series. As usual, the NextBox is 5 years behind the times and is a box of nonsense.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Even Shomi doesn't suggest the next episode. You have to back up through the interface to get to the next one. Perhaps they used the same programmer from their VOD service for Shomi.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many, many 'features' of the Nextbox user interface suggest they were designed by someone who has NEVER used a PVR in their real life.

The absolute moronic stupidity of the design choices indicate the person(s) who made the design choices were NOT someone who watched TV at home on their own PVR.

A comparison would be someone who was designing a car - and they had NEVER driven a car themselves.

Every single day I'm reminded of the duncicity of Rogers managers who could put together such an interface as Navigatr - and the earlier interface of the Nextbox was certainly not a whole lot better - especially when the NB 2 was first foisted on the unsuspecting public.

Well travelled customers who have tried many other PVR's around North America have pointed out that Rogers Nextbox is, BY FAR, the WORST PVR of ANY that they have EVER used.

Which supports my contention that some Rogers managers have INTENTIONALLY crippled the Nextbox - and they DON'T WANT to give their customers the ability to avoid watching commercials by using a PVR to skip commercials. YEARS of steadily worsening PVR performance suggests Rogers wants to push us more in the directing of being FORCED to watch LIVE TV.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
The long term goal of most BDUs, like Rogers, is to switch people over to VOD instead of using PVRs. Since the interface and performance of Rogers VOD offerings are even worse than their PVRs, the source of the problem looks more like massive incompetence at the upper management level. The rollout of the CrapiGatR interface shows that they are aware of the issue but are totally clueless as to how to fix it. One only has to look at a couple of popular open source PVR software products to see dramatically better interfaces.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
I have the "more like this feature" turned off - I'm still on RTN. When Navigatr came out, people tried to disable "more like this", but it didn't disable. When I was doing an optimization recently I had my first chance to "play" with Navigatr for a few minutes and noticed that the "more like this" feature was listed, but could be disabled.

Can anyone with Navigatr confirm that "more like this" now actually turns off with the December/January Navigatr (I believe it's under "settings"? Rogers made quite a few changes since the July 28 version of Navigatr.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can confirm that in the latest updated Navigatr, Related Content can be turned off. In Settings and then Related Content Setting, the Show/Don't Show options can be selected and are effective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts