Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just letting you know that i JUST got off of the phone with a Sirius rep who called me AFTER i sent an email to someone higher up 4 days ago. This wasn't a normal CSR as she called me and left a message with her number.i called her back this morning and she was on the other line so i was going to call back later today, but she called me again.

i now have Sirius (lifetime) for 600.10 taxes in. MINUS the credit for my yearly plan.
SIRIUS Everything - Lifetime
Service - 549.99 545.69 32.74 69.41 600.10

She said that i must have talked to someone higher up because she knows this is not normal, and that i am one of the lucky ones.

here is the post HE posted in the Sirius Lounge (apparently he is a VP or something)
Sirius_Al
on Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hi folks,

We did remove the Lifetime plan this year. And you're right, we probably should have communicated to you guys that we were going to, in case you wanted to upgrade to it. The reality is, it hasn't had very broad appeal, nor have we had much negative feedback about it going away. But clearly I could have handled it better, and I was my decision to remove it.
I expect that, much like SIRIUS|XM, we'll offer it periodically on a promotional basis, but not as a permanent plan.
If you've got additional questions or concerns about it, please email me ([email protected]), and I'm sure we can work something out. But don't beat up on Lyra about it, she's just trying to get you the answers you need...and I've been slow in replying, please beat up on me instead.
Let me know if I can help more specifically through email.
Thanks
Al
and here is the email i sent to him

Hello Sirius_Al,

i was just perusing some older posts in Sirius Lounge and came upon the thread that you posted in, regarding Lifetime Subscriptions. This post was back on December 16th, 2009. Has there been any new information on the possibility of the lifetime being offered as a promotion? i currently have 1 yearly plan in my truck, and 1 seasonal plan and 1 month to month plan. i can tell you that my yearly plan and more than likely my month to month plan would more likely than not turn into lifetime plans.

When talking to other subscribers, the exact same topic comes up virtually every time. Why did Sirius cancel the option of lifetime plan with out telling me? ive called Sirius for various reasons since the plan was canceled and i hear the same thing from the CSR's. they say that they get a lot of calls regarding this but have no information for them. Is Sirius collecting information on how many people are inquiring about bringing the lifetime service back? or are they 'afraid' due to the amount of people are actually asking about this?

With my 3 radios, it is getting harder and harder to justify the cost, now i get to added cost of the 'artist fee' or whatever you guys or the government wants to call it. sorry but this fee is a scam and a pure money grab.(that's another topic though)

so, to summarize,

i am formally asking to have the lifetime plan reinstated, as i would have purchased this plan had it not been canceled without any warning to me. Even if i knew that it WILL be offered as a promotion in the future. If you do some looking you will find people who are searching to buy lifetime plans off of other people.

thanks for listening (reading) i hope that something comes of this.
so it seems that there is hope

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks for the message. I bought my lifetime sub in March or April 2006. Its really starting to pay off now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hopefully it returns, even as a promotion. The only reason I knew it was being removed was because of this place. Really wished I would have added it back then.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Thanks for the message. I bought my lifetime sub in March or April 2006. Its really starting to pay off now.
How much did you pay?

Recently got satellite radio in the car and had absolutely no idea how much a subscription would be. After checking out the channels, and noticing the poor audio fidelity, I figured I would be willing to pay up to $5/month for the service, but in the back of my mind I figured they probably charge twice that.

So I was quite surprised to hear they actually want $15-20/month which to me is not a value. Then there are pointless additional fees like 'activation' and contract penalty clauses.

I'd consider paying $300 for the duration of the car (~5 years?) but any more than that isn't really appealing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the lifetime plan when I first got my Sirius radio at Christmas of 2006...It was $549 at the time...but I thought if I went for the 3 year subscription...it was only a few bucks more...I think it was a good decision.
I use it quite a bit on the highway. I couldn't justify paying $15/ month for radio when OTA is free.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
The one question about this lifetime plan; it's for the "life" of your particular radio- right?

What scares me is that I just had a ~ 2 year old radio die on me; which would make this plan very expensive.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ken, I can only speak for the US Lifetime plan, Canada may be similar.

The fine print says you can transfer a limited number of times to a new radio for a flat fee, which was around $75 USD last time I checked.

When I was researching the USA Lifetime ones I also found many people saying they would waive the fee in most reasonable cases - if the radio was stolen, broken etc. It's no guarantee though and you should plan to have to pay a fee.

Read the fine print, you may find it suits your needs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just tried it and it worked.

I had been away for a while and was catching up with the threads and I realized I missed out, luckily they gave me the lifetime option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just tried it and it worked.

I had been away for a while and was catching up with the threads and I realized I missed out, luckily they gave me the lifetime option.
Can you give me details as to what you did to get a lifetime option? My 6 month free sub just ran out today. It came with the Ford I bought. They called earlier and offered me 1 yr @14.99 with 1 free month! No deal at all. I like the service but it's not worth $15 month especially since it's hard wired into the car. Said I might get a promo code in the mail that could be better, but the cancel you in the meantime.

·
Registered
635 Posts
DaDD,

If you don't really need to have Sirius right away, you can wait for Sirius Canada to give you a good promo deal over the next month or two....But wait for the right promo. I had waited through several promos and then finally got a $5 per month for 6 months deal. Got this in early August 2010. My 6 month subscription with Sirius had expired in late June 2010 (bought a Ford too). This 6 month subscription just expired last week....when I had cancelled the 6 month subscription (I believe that they automatically renew at their regular rate ($14.99) if you don't). During the cancellation, Sirius Canada first offered me to renew at $14.99 per month...said no....then immediately offered me 50% off ($7.49/month)...said no again and ended the call. Now I am back to local radio stations for the time being. :)

Dave

·
Registered
148 Posts
Darn........Didnt work for me....They offered me 3 years with 5 months free........I didnt even return their email.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
who did you email?

look in my first post, you will see the email address of the person i emailed.

just from what i read of your reply, it sounds like you emailed customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lifetime plan - transfer fee charged then reversed.

On XMas Eve 2008 I bought myself a nice gift - my first-ever new car, which included a factory-installed SiriusXM receiver and a 6-month trial subscription. Of course I got hooked on it right away, since I like listening to a wide variety of music radio but hate the ads on free radio. So I got my lifetime sub at the end of May 2009 when the free trial expired. I was lucky to get in the door just before lifetimes were dropped a month later on July 1 (that can't be an accident -- what is with these corporate bozos??).

I paid ~$666 tax in, which includes 4 radios (ie original car plus next 3 cars or any 3 receivers). The [incredibly cheerful female] rep told me that they currently weren't charging anything to transfer radios, but that could change in future and if so it would be $75 (also stated clearly as an optional fee in the siriuscanada.ca online T&C).

Here is an email I received on June 2, 2009 from [email protected] in response to my query about specific contract terms:

Thanks for writing to us about the Lifetime subscription. If your radio is covered under warranty, you can change your radio as many times as you need. When your radio is not covered under warranty, we reserve the
right to charge up to a $75.00 fee, per swap, after changing your radio
the first three times. We currently are not charging these fees and
have no plan to do so in the foreseeable future however, it is in the
Terms and Conditions which you should be familiar with. A copy can be
found at:

<http://www.siriuscanada.ca/en/auxiliary/terms.aspx>

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Sincerely,

Angela A
SIRIUS Customer Care

P.S. We are committed to providing you with the best in Customer Care.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact SIRIUS
Customer Care. For your convenience, we are available 7 days a week, between the hours of 7:00 am to 1:00 am EST at:

1-888-539-SIRIUS (7474)

As well as by email at:

www.siriuscanada.ca
So it depends on who you're talking to I guess...

About a year later I had the misfortune to be involved in a freak highway accident which wrote off my vehicle, but was lucky again as there were no injuries to anyone involved. Shortly thereafter I purchased receiver #2 (another similarly equipped car). I called in to activate the new receiver and reached a Sirius CSR in Cairo, Egypt.

The rep told me I would be charged the $75 transfer fee because I was out of warranty (more than one year) - I wasn't happy, but frankly not too surprised since their option to do so was in the contract. This guy was also a fast talker and sold me a car kit I didn't need, for more than it was selling for online -- he promoted it as a standalone receiver and said I was getting a "special price as a loyal subscriber", that there was no risk as I could return it, etc etc. Against my better judgement I fell for the sucker play. Of course I did end up wanting to return it! so following the printed instructions enclosed with the product, I called the Sirius Canada support number for returns protocol. I reached a VM with a rather long OGM in heavily French-accented English -- apparently an office in Ottawa or Quebec -- but because I wasn't 100% sure what she was saying in the OGM, I tried calling customer support first.

The guy I spoke to this time was an engagingly garrulous older Canadian dude who had been with the home office for several years as a field tech and recently installed in Customer Service although he preferred field work. He also told me his work philosophy was "to treat the customer the way I'd want to be treated". On reviewing my account my new buddy noticed that I had been charged the $75 transfer fee (I hadn't mentioned it). He actually got upset about that and reversed the charge on the spot! So nice to see consistent application of company policy at least some of the time (LOL).

The car kit return was easy. I finally got through to the very helpful returns person, got a UPS label by email, charges reversed, no problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lifetime Plan & Radio Replacement

When we signed up for a lifetime plan 3 years ago, we were told that we could sub the radio 2-3 times. We are a bit abnormal as we use our radio almost exclusively at home so there is very little wear & tear on it. It will be interesting to see what they say if/when the day comes that we try to replace it under the lifetime plan, in view of the posts about no longer offering the Lifetime option. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will be interesting to see what they say if/when the day comes that we try to replace it under the lifetime plan, in view of the posts about no longer offering the Lifetime option.
They will definitely honour the terms of a lifetime subscription if you've already got one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts