Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past year, my wife and I have spent lots of money on new toys- 2008 Ultra Classic, 50 inch plasma, built a "cottage" in the yard and 5 days ago, a new HTR-6190 to replace our broken Denon, so we decided not to trade any christmas gifts this year. Well today, I was in town to trade in our 6208 single tuner for the dual tuner. To my surprise, I got the 6416 phase 3 dual tuner, brand new, not even refurbished. I said I was dissapointed that we couldn't buy them in the atlantic province.

Well, did I just get flabbergasted when he told me that we could buy them. I says "What?"
Yup, we can buy the dual tuner for only $399. :eek:

Instead of renting at $24.95 + tax for 12 months for a total of $338, I decided to buy it. That's merry belated christmas present for myself to I.

I made sure I got the HDMI version, and asked how long the warranty is for. It's for a year.

Now, those who has this new beast, have you been able to plug in the SATA external drive for more space ? As soon as I'm done with this post, I'm off to set it up in the theatre!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Congrats on a good deal. The bad news is that Motorola hasn't written the firmware code for external hard drives (and probably never will for the DCT 64xx).

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and that's too bad. At least, 160 Gb is much better than what I had before. 6 HD shows and the 6208 was 90% full....:eek:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Which Rogers store Dan?

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Federicton store on Prospect corner. It does what it's supposed to do. I might go and buy another one just to make sure I don't pay rental fees anymore.

One thing I did notice about the 6416, it changes the menus much quicker. To go from List to Menu is in a flash. Also, when you get the picture in picture, the picture being shown doesn't stutter like the 6208 did. Scrolling down the guide is also very fast. So far, I'm impressed. I wonder why it took so long to get them in NB?

Oh and one more thing, the guy that served me said they are renting the dual tuners as wuickly as they come in. I guess more people got HD tv's this christmas!

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed that FS is now selling the dual tuner PVR for more money than ROGERS. I guess I did good!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well looks like I have something to do tomorrow. Thanks for the info Dan good to know it performs well, my 6208 has all the same bad performance issues as yours, having things run quicker will be a welcome change.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuzzface,
Actually what I meant is that when you go in Guide mode, the program you're watching becomes a small picture in the top right hand corner. With the 6208, it stutters big time. With the 6416, there is no slow motion of it. It is as smooth as a babies bottom.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I tried to go into my Rogers Plus store on Saturday to buy a 6416 or 6412 but my store has not one hd, hdpvr or even sd set top boxes in stock, and being a former Rogers Fulfillment agent this time of year the turn around time even to have one mailed to me can take up-wards to 2 to 3 weeks and no way to promise if you will get a unit with hdmi as the software systems in the call centers have no way to state what the customer wants. So I guess I will wait until more boxes arrive, my wife works at Starbucks right across from the Rogers store (she can talk to the reps she is that close) she will see the boxes and can go and get one then. Hope everyone had a great christmas and Happy New Year to one and all!!! Lets see what battles "lie" ahead for us in 2009! Maybe some more HD Channels? Who knows.:D

·
Banned
279 Posts
yes hdmi should be on all hd boxes.

Its only a matter of time and I will get one too i guess. Hoping for hdpvr if price goes down. Not paying 500.00 for one now.;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
This past year, my wife and I have spent lots of money on new toys- 2008 Ultra Classic, 50 inch plasma, built a "cottage" in the yard and 5 days ago, a new HTR-6190 to replace our broken Denon, so we decided not to trade any christmas gifts this year. Well today, I was in town to trade in our 6208 single tuner for the dual tuner. To my surprise, I got the 6416 phase 3 dual tuner, brand new, not even refurbished. I said I was dissapointed that we couldn't buy them in the atlantic province.

Well, did I just get flabbergasted when he told me that we could buy them. I says "What?"
Yup, we can buy the dual tuner for only $399. :eek:

Instead of renting at $24.95 + tax for 12 months for a total of $338, I decided to buy it. That's merry belated christmas present for myself to I.

I made sure I got the HDMI version, and asked how long the warranty is for. It's for a year.

Now, those who has this new beast, have you been able to plug in the SATA external drive for more space ? As soon as I'm done with this post, I'm off to set it up in the theatre!!!
That was a great deal, but the bad news is it was only a time limited offer that expired on dec 31 2008. My Rogers store had 1 6416 MK III with HDMI left yesterday so I decided to buy it but the $399 offer expired, so they are now $499, oh well rather own it than rent it for $25 bucks a month. And it seems faster to change channels, go through menus, and the pip in the upper right hand seems flawless too :)

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah darn...I wanted to get another one. The guy never told me it was a special deal or I would've order then both at the same time. With the amount of time we waited for them to finally offer it in NB, it SHOULD be $399 all the time! :eek:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Futureshop - Fredericton

349.99, supposed to buy a tv but they had a big sign at the back of the center isle that had them on for this price with the non pvr box at 149.99 and yes it is a series 3 with hdmi, had sold 4 while i was there still had 5 or 6 in the display. Friday night, Jan 30 around 7:00 p.m.

Sweet, I'm out of the corner.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Actually don't have to buy a TV, right in the flyer at 349.99, sweet.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Took my single tuner back to Rogers on Prospect, dual tuner and HD only box both on sale same price as FutureShop. The guy said the sale was ending Sat but wasn't sure.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to futureshop yesterday morning after reading your post. The guy told me they had over 20 single tuners on Friday and yesterday morning, they had 5 left. When I got my dual, there were 3 left. I think this was a great deal. Now if only they would add the other HD channels that we are missing....

·
Registered
743 Posts

Just a couple things I have noticed, compared to the 6208, single PVR

This thing is way quieter, can't hear it at all.

Guide is way faster, I think Dan mentioned that.

One thing that I'm not sure of, but have myself convinced is that my HD is better than it was before. The blacks seem way better.

Got the US Super Bowl feed from Detroit, not simsubbed :) and the picture was amazing on my 51gwx20b Hitachi that is now 6 years old. I've noticed this since I hooked it up Sat afternoon, even the hockey game on Sun afternoon with the prison team playing was better.

Anyway so far so good, recorded and watched different shows for the 1st time ever, nice.

The placement of the buttons on the remote are a bit goofy, but I normally just use the Harmony 670 anyway.

Maybe we should start a new 6416 thread just for this type of thing, anywho so far so good.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Watch your bill

Tried to charge me to activate both the boxes that I bought. They are both brand new and in Rogers boxes, but I got one at Walmart and the other at Future Shop. Expected my bill to be lower this month but low and behold it was quite a bit higher. Come to find out they tried to charge me 49.99 to activate them and because I didn't do them both at the same time they charged me twice.

Needless to say a conversation with a CSR was required to rectify the extra charges, they were receptive to my complaint.

Keep your eyes open.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They have a new system that I really like. They send you a confirmation of your new transaction with the activation of your box. When I got the bill, it wasn't like what I had gotten in a pdf file. A quick call to ROGERS did confirm that there was a credit on my account. I'll have to check next month...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts