Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extended Warranty ?

I bought my first ever flat panel LCD TV over the holidays and have 30 days to buy extended warranty. IS it a good idea or waste of money? It's an LG LCD above 40" size.

My previous tube set 36" JVC is still working after 11 yrs, but with 2 inhome repairs out of warranty in the $80 range each. Failed at 4 yr mark and 6 yr mark.

Thks
Wayne

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind, I rather have current peoples opinions on it rather then some guys corporate study from 2 yrs ago!

I hear that once the LCD pixcels go you need a new TV. How often does this happen? Most other items are small repairs under $200.

Thks for any info.

Wayne

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pixel dropout is probably going to be a result of infant mortality in the first place. If it will happen, it will be in the first three months I'd imagine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only extended warranties I ever purchase are on laptops because the LCD panel is the most expensive piece and because laptops get beat up or dropped. I have never purchased an extended warranty on any other AV equipment. Frankly I have never had anything repaired but just took the opportunity to upgrade if something did break or wear out.

Call me lucky and touch wood but I have never really had anything break that was relatively new. Always managed to get my moneys worth out of consumer products.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I had my plasma break approx 18 months after i bought it.(http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=123647)

The standard warranty is only good for 12 months. it cost me roughly 240 bucks to fix which is close to what an extended warranty would of cost.

IMO its not worth the warranty because the chance of failure inst very high and at worst it would of cost me 450 for a new plasma of similar(if not better) quality due to the way prices have been decreasing.

So i look at is as spending $300 now or take the chance of MAYBE spending 450 later

Id rather have the 300 in my pocket and take the chance (which really isnt very high . especially outside of the 1 year manufacturer warranty.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good plan, but the manufacturer 1 yr warranty is not inhome or in my city? I can't even imagine what the costs are to ship a 55" anywhere?

·
Registered
57 Posts
most name brand companies will service a 55inch television at home contrary to what the sales people have told you.

read your warranty terms from your product.

Also, many credit card companies offer an additional years warranty as a perk for having the card. (total of 2 years)

·
Registered
228 Posts
+1 to checking your credit card, I bought a TV almost two years ago on my Visa only to have the panel go break. The process of getting a cheque from the Visa insurance was relatively painless and quite quick. They sent me a cheque for the amount of the repair cost which was very close to what I paid for the TV two years ago ($2500) and I ended up getting a new TV instead of repairing the old one.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Samsung is in home service for their one year warranty on their big screens as well. I had a motherboard replaced and a firmware update done by a tech at my house.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got off the phone and a local repair shop told me don't get the warranty as he sees most failures at the 3-4 yr mark after warranty is done. Thats LED-LCD or plasma.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just instore today and found a 60" Samsung 6300 with 3 dead zones. Well actually 3 bright spots. 2 the size of a pencil width and one the size of a quarter. On a blue screen they showed white. The clerk told me that manufacture warranty might not cover a few dead pixcels. I will have to check that out on Monday with the authorized warranty depot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I bought the 6300 SAmsung 55" LED. It is so beautiful!!! WAYYYYYY better then the LG 55" LCD. I want to try it out for a month. LED lighting looks real good but needs tweaking. And also I got a great great deal. The store goofed on the price by $300.00 by having a Eastern Canada price deal on the sticker.

This model is mid range level quality for Samsung. Now if I can handle the motion blurr, I'll keep it. If not it's a plasma next.

IF you have a Samsung 6300,6400,6500, I would value your opinions as well.

Thks
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
The 46" 6400 is nice. It has the Samsung apps and attached media options and Ethernet. Netflix was very nice on it. The flash-lighting was disappointing but for the most part disappears once you get into a movie. The anti-blurring or motion compensation is not a feature Ilike. I kept thinking I was watching reality TV. The remote takes some getting used to. Especially the ENTER button centered in the 4 arrows.

Also, no RCA stereo output was a bummer (ok 3.5mm but that does not count). And only 1 YPbPr input, no s-video no composite video input. Definitely a TV that needs a receiver to pair with it unless you are HDMI (4) across the board.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called a warranty repair depot for Samsung and not sure if what I heard is that positive. Lets say anytime in the 1 yr warranty you have some dead pixels. SAmsung warranty will authorize a repair visit. They will take pictures and send to SAmsung. If they agree you get a new TV. If they think you damaged the screen then no replacement TV. These screens can be easily damaged. If you press to hard or something or someone [kids] fall against it, bang dead pixel!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"was"? So you replaced it? I noticed the skimpy hook up selection now setting it up. Only one set component jacks. So forget my DVD player & receiver now. Optic TV has no HDMI so the one and only component & audio set is used. Not to cool! I did get a free Blu-ray player so thats not a hook up problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Netflix was and still is very nice. I was also surprised it came with no cables. Not even a token RCA audio cable. Not a problem for me but other people may not have a big-old-box of AV cables and adapters sitting in their basement waiting for a home. :)

·
Banned
220 Posts
If you want to reduce motion blur, turn down sharpness way down, like even at 15. It's useless. Also turning some brightness and contrast down will help a bit too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.