Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so last summer Bell came over to install a new dish (first one) and two wires for a 9241 (along with some kind of powered switch) at my house. I see the sattelite dish has 4 "jacks" of which two are couple to cables. The other two are capped.

If I purchase a 6131 receiver, how would I hook it up and what do I need to make it work.

I know I need to call bell to activate it, I'm just wondering what hardware I need.

Can I just run one or two new wires to the existing free jacks on the back of the satelliet to the box?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It sounds very much like they installed an SW44, so the short answer is yes, just use 1 of the spare output ports on that switch and run a new length of RG6 for the 6131.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(First off, sorry for posting in the wrong forum.)

Thanks for the reply. I'd have to look again, but I'm fairly certain it did saw SW44 on the switch. However, it has one 3 jacks and all are taken. Two of them run to my 9241. I have no free jacks...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I did a quick search on google images for SW44 and it looks like the switch being referred to is the one on the back of my dish outside. In whihc case, there are TWO free jacks. So I can run RG6 direct from there into my house and into a 6131 to get HD?

If someone can give me a definitive YES, I'm set. I will pick up a 6131 and eventually an EHD so that the kids can have some shows recorded and watch in their playroom instead of the home-theatre/media room.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bell installed the dish and set it up this way. It is on the back of the dish. Is this normal? I've had it for a year without a problem. I'm on a 2 year term. What happens if it fails during contract? Is it warrantied by them?

Anybody know if this is standard practice, or did the installer cut corners?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It is standard practice to mount them behind the Dish. To mount inside, the installer would have had to use extra cable for which he would not be paid.

The SW44 is fine outside but, there are advantages to it being inside, easier for troubleshooting during the Winter springs to mind immediately.

As you are only adding 1 more Tuner to your set up it can stay behind the Dish. If you wanted to bring it inside, you would need to run 4 lines in and then hook it back up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Pinza. I don't think I will bother changing it.

I wonder if the "warranty" their installation?

I'm basically in a 2 year term with them and the PVR is free for two years (rental).

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As you are Renting the warranty is ongoing, so you have no worries about the switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very much a newbie myself...
I have the same set-up as ohlias as I currently have the 9242 with a sw44 switch.
I have two empty slots on the switch. Would I only need to use one of jacks to get my complete programming (HD and SD)?
I was reading other threads that mentioned using a sw21 to get the 82 and 91 signals into one RG6 cable.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The Outputs of the SW44 are already combined, so they contain all the Signals offered by Bell TV. You can use one port for a Single Tuner or both Ports for another Dual Tuner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts