Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 4700C receiver (12 years old) and a 32” standard definition TV (5 years old). I would like to receive Russia Today ch-724.

Bell TV told me I need the HD upgrade package (20” dish, second LNB and a new HD receiver).

He told me I cannot receive ch-724 on my 4700C, is this correct?

I have no problem buying a new dish and second LNB, but I have no interest in buying a HD receiver for my standard definition TV.

Thanks you.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No, that is BS.

There is no reason at all for a new Receiver.

Just get a 20" Dish, 2nd LNBF, and an SW21, if the 4700 is your only receiver.

It used to be free to Upgrade, (providing you kept the new channel for 6 months) try a different CSR.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No problem.

I get my Russia Today via FTA, Galaxy 17, just used an old Dish 75cm and a cheap FTA Receiver, I get hundreds of other channels too, all for free but that is for another thread.....lol

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A new HD receiver would be required to receive HD or channels above 1000. The only thing required in this case should be a (free) dish upgrade. OTOH, it is possible that Russia Today is encoded with 8PSK and/or MPEG4. That is unlikely but it would require a new receiver.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
No problem.

I get my Russia Today via FTA, Galaxy 17, just used an old Dish 75cm and a cheap FTA Receiver, I get hundreds of other channels too, all for free but that is for another thread.....lol
You mean Galaxy 19 at 97 degrees West right? Galaxy 17 is at 91 degrees West.

And yes, you need a 2nd LNBF and a switch as all international channels on Bell TV are on Nimiq 4 at 82 degrees West. All HD channels are on this satellite as well which is why the rep might have been confused into thinking you needed an HD receiver. Russia Today is still DVB-S QPSK like all other international channels so your current receiver will work fine.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've got to wonder what Bell is charging for this channel. If it's any more than a couple of dollars, FTA might be a better option.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
@ DrSat, yes you are correct, Galaxy 19.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to check out the Free to Air Satellite Television section in this forum as a possible option.

This is an excellent site!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
We do try......lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts