Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking for a security camera to put outside.I am new to all this and would like to know about cheap setupsand how to's. Can I use my computer,or do I use my vcr?
I really don't know where to start and actually only need one camera which keeps an eye on one certain area of my backyard.Any help appreciated.
Again would like a cheap setup, that works good if possible.Thks

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I have some X-10 equipment that was definitely cheap and seemed to work well. I don't have it set up currently but it did the trick when I needed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The cheapest way is to use a webcam and have it look out of a window and record on motion detection. A better way would be to use an IP Camera which can be had for around $100 these days.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use Foscam Wireless Webcams. You still need to find a way to wire up power, but once that's set, the camera works great in night viewing, and has lots of control. It can email or ftp pics, and you can watch live from the internet.

I picked up two, the outdoor stationary camera FI8904W and the indoor pan/tilt one FI8908W. From the website below, click on the "Where to buy" link and it shows a list of Ebay URLs. Find the Canadian link, and just order it. The Canadian supplier is very responsive, I got mine in about a week.

I tried installing from indoors, and looking out the window. It works in daylight, but once it gets dark out the IR LEDs simply reflect all over the window and you get a washed out view. It's best to install it somewhere outdoors. The pan/tilt model is intended for indoor use, but I've installed mine outdoors in a protected area where it will not be affected by the weather.

http://www.foscam.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suggest you to get the Hoist mount outdoor camera. It is such a fine security camera that you can installed outside your house. It can also be used with or without wires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts