Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Too bad. Its the independent private radio stations that provide diversity in music and feature local content.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
This is a trend only made worse by the pandemic. It has been happening for years due to small business closures. Closed businesses, for whatever reason, do not advertise.

The other possibility is that the stations will be purchased by big broadcasting companies like Bell and Global. Then the gut the local stations by laying off most of the staff and transferring operations to studios in big cites. The result is loss of local newscasts and programming that actually serve the communities the stations were originally licensed to serve. The answer is for the CRTC to deny purchases of small community stations by large broadcasters. This policy, and others to protect small broadcasters, should have been instituted over 20 years ago. I'd rather see a community station shut down than taken over by Bell or Rogers. It has been shown that they will be replaced by community oriented broadcasters. Zombie stations operated by large broadcasters just make it harder for independent broadcasters to survive.

·
Super Moderator
17,027 Posts
News Release - Local Broadcasters Face Major Cuts and Closures as Canadian Media Crisis Worsens (pdf)
CMI Report Backgrounder - The Crisis in Canadian Media and the Future of Local Broadcasting (pdf)
CMI Report - The Crisis in Canadian Media and the Future of Local Broadcasting (pdf)

Union response includes:
The key insight of the report is not only that small independent stations are in peril, but radio and TV outlets owned by big media companies like Bell, Rogers, Quebecor and Corus are losing their ability to transfer profits from sports and entertainment programming to cover losses in their perennially unprofitable news operations that Canadians rely on, especially during a pandemic. Western and Atlantic provinces are home to the greatest number of unprofitable TV stations which makes them vulnerable, and more at risk of closing predicts the report.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Here's an unorthodox way that we can save many stations from their demise: tobacco advertising.
Other, probably less lethal, products with advertising restrictions are alcohol, cannabis and prescription medications. Not that I want to see them advertised but I'm sure they would love to advertise on Canadian TV.

Personally, I would like to see restrictions on the intrusiveness and amount of advertising on television. It's at the point now where advertising is ruining the TV viewing experience and driving people to alternate services like Netflix. Television revenue has been falling for years. Rather than complaining about another drop in advertising revenue, broadcasters should be providing paid, high quality, advertising free options at a reasonable cost. That's the future of TV.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
^ This. Ads are so obnoxious now that I only watch TV at all if the show is on PVR so I can skip them, and I basically don't listen to terretrial radio. More ads will not solve a problem caused by how terrible ads are. It will just drive more people away from these antiquated forms of media.

·
Registered
990 Posts
According to this article, the opposite is true south of the boarder.
Radio is ‘Comfort Food’ As Media Consumption Rises Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
As more Americans opt to stay home amid growing concerns about the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), media consumption is, unsurprisingly, peaking. Yet amid the various media options consumers have to choose from, including streaming platforms and connected TVs, a recent Nielsen survey found that 83% of consumers say they’re listening to as much or more radio as they were before the pandemic.

57 - Font Changed

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
A similar thing is happening in Canada. The difference is that Canadians are using online US based services because Canadian broadcasters fail to deliver a product that Canadians want to listen to or watch. Since late Spring when US programming production shut down, Canadian TV has become a wasteland of reruns, not that it was much better before. Apart from a few independent broadcasters, Canadian radio has been a wasteland for the past 20 years.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
A similar thing is happening in Canada. The difference is that Canadians are using online US based services because Canadian broadcasters fail to deliver a product that Canadians want to listen to or watch. Since late Spring when US programming production shut down, Canadian TV has become a wasteland of reruns, not that it was much better before. Apart from a few independent broadcasters, Canadian radio has been a wasteland for the past 20 years.
I wish there was a classic rock station as good as Q107 in California. Rubbish that CDN radio sucks. TSN & The Fan are so better, and less obnoxious than U.S. sports radio. CBC 1, 2 & 3, 96.3 Classical, much better than WBH - I‘m glad Shaw offers CDN radio, because it gets past all the geo-restrictions. NPR is the only American radio network worth a damn. Each to their own.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Also some of us live in a small town or area that have zero good radio station, so we have to use online to get good station from big cities. I live in a french area, so the only english station we get is CBC radio, and we barely have french station also (I don't listening to those, not my style), we only have 3 local ration and we pickup 1-2 station from quebec.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I wish there was a classic rock station as good as Q107 in California. Rubbish that CDN radio sucks.
I guess that's a matter of opinion. Q107 has always been a bit of an outlier. It started out as one of Canada's few album oriented rock (AOR) stations in the 1970s. AOR was very popular with young people at the time. Few other Canadian cities had a comparable station and the CRTC was very vocal in it's distaste of the format, only licensing stations in large cities such as Toronto and Vancouver or border cities where concessions were required in order to compete with US stations. On the other hand, Q107 is just a shadow of what it was in the 1970s and early 1980s and has gone through a number of format changes. The bulk of corporate owned stations in Canada have been gutted of talent and been forced to tow a corporate line that maximizes profits. That has happened in the US as well and I agree that most of them lack originality. I completely stopped listening to any top 40 radio about 15 years ago. Even before that, I preferred alternative formats when they were available. The other issue with Canadian radio are Cancon requirements imposed by the CRTC that create a lot of repetition due to the small amount of music that qualifies as Canadian content compared to what is available worldwide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts