Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Human Target is an upcoming American action drama television series which is based on the comic book character of the same title. The show is scheduled to premiere on Fox on January 17, 2010, with a new episode on January 20.

The show is then scheduled to move into its regular timeslot on January 27, airing on Wednesdays. The first season is expected to be 13 episodes.

In Canada, Human Targest makes its Canadian premiere on CTV on Friday, January 15 at 10 p.m. ET., before moving to its regular timeslot, Mondays at 8 p.m., beginning January 18th.

Human Targest stars Mark Valley (FRINGE) as Christopher Chance, a unique private contractor/security expert/bodyguard that puts his own life on the line for his clients. He is joined on his adventures by colleagues Winston (Chi McBride, PUSHING DAISIES) and Guerrero (Jackie Earle Haley, Watchmen). Vancouver native Emmanuelle Vaugier (CSI:NY) guest stars.

In the series opener, “Pilot”, Chance is hired to protect life-threatened engineer Tricia Helfer (BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA), of California's first bullet train as it makes its maiden voyage from Los Angeles to San Francisco. In the second episode, Chance and Winston encounter some severe turbulence when they work together to protect a client they have never met from an assassin aboard a passenger plane.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Nice catch. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There won't be a simsub because it's not airing at the same time.
You could certainly set vupass on FOX however if you are watching in HD you'll probably notice that Bell compresses the FOX channels more than CTV so the show would look better on CTV...

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you do decide to record it from CTV, don't forget to reprogram your PVR for the two weeks of the Olympics, when Human Target will be moved to the (SD-only) /A\ stations.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Anyone else catch the premier/pilot episode last night?

A few glitches in the story line, typical of a TV show trying to do a big screen type presentation IMHO, but otherwise not badly done.

The basic storyline is different, in that it could lead to great variety from week to week. It is an open storyline that could take the star of the show anyplace and into any situation, if the writers can grasp and run with this level of imagination. The structure for the series is minmal, which can be a good thing if recognized and taken advantage of.

There are a lot of hints of depth to the star's character as well, both for interpersonal relationships and level of education. Not a superhero, just smart and capable.

Spoiler alert::::
One thing bothered me about the show - nothing was ever said or shown about the train's engineers, or whoever would be in the engine at the front of the train. Normally that would not matter, but they must have died in the crash so totally ignoring them in the storyline seems kind of cold, or thoughtless.....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Didn't really like it that much. Struck me as a poor imitation of "Mission Impossible". I didn't realize it was based on a comic book, but am not surprised, based on how shallow the first one was.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I checked it out, wasn't super special, but I really liked the character Guerrero
played by Jackie Earle Haley.
Ill watch a few more epps see how it improves or declines.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Liked it. Will add to my viewing schedule for now. Chance reminds me of Dirk Pitt from the books. Between Chance and Castle, I'm getting my fill of glibness.

Regarding spoiler - Good catch. I never thought of it. Either the writers forgot or hoped we wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
We watched it and thought it was ok. MANY holes in the plot / story line and we immediately caught the "What about the engineers?" issue as well.

We'll check out a few more episodes with the hope it improves, and becomes less "comic book-y" and they put a bit more thought into covering the plot.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I liked the show and wondered about that spoiler catch. I assume that it was equivalent to our TTC LRT. Was there a scene where he actually took possession of the cell phone?

I will keep watching for now and see how it develops.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The three core characters were good. Tricia Helford was not. The opening episode was not a good choice to rely on the CG train. I'll give it another shot.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The show got it's "next shot" last night, with Episode 2.

A bit of a stretch, but not as bad as some.

Not sure if this is a spoiler, but just in case....
Understanding current tech should not be an issue today. However, the laptop that Casper spoke of with an "800mhz processor" was just silly. Even cheap netbooks come in a 1.6Ghz. And this is a brilliant hacker?

On an almost-off topic note: one way many such stories - be they TV series, movies, comic books, or whatever - make the story at least plausible is by making key elements of the story stuff that is outside most people's body of knowledge.

What the inside of a plane's landing gear area looks like, what a superfast train would look like or ride like, where data access ports might be for a plane's computer system, etc, are things that traditionally most people do not know and never will know.

However, things are changing, thanks to the internet. We can get such information easily, and usually with a high degree of accuracy.

This has to make writing such stories harder and harder. To step beyond the normal body of knowledge of the mass majority means reaching further and farther and maybe even more weirder, IYKWIM.

Used to be that if you sat with an engineering text book and read for an evening, you could come up with story gimicks that most people would accept blindly. Now, when you try that, a lot of the population will have checked your facts before the next commercial!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I quite liked the show. I wasn't thinking about any plot holes or anything, I was just enjoying the characters and the situation. I've been a fan of Mark Valley ever since his hilarious portrayal of Eddie Arlette ("How ya doin', I'm Eddie. How d'you like me so far?") in the sadly-cancelled FOX action-comedy-drama "Keen Eddie". Chance seems to have more depth to him than Eddie did, but then "Human Target" isn't a fun comedy.

Chi McBride is also another favourite of mine. His role as the principal on "Boston Public" was good, but his role as the P.I. on "Pushing Daisies" was unforgettable. His role on HT is just as surly and acerbic, but the acting style on PD pushed his performance into really funny territory.

I'm looking forward to more of HT and seeing where it goes.

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
796 Posts
I like the characters & cast, just wish the CG was better (I mean it's really lousy) and the writers had half a brain.
eg: all exterior shots of the train looked really cheap. Almost 2D.
Holes... well so many, where the hell were the engineers? Were they crazy? Why did the emergency brakes not stop the train in the first place? Why did they not stop when they had a medical emergency? How did the POS train ever get certified to operate in the condition it was in? Etc... More holes than most 1hr shows.

I hope it gets better.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Human Target = Big Disappointment

MANY holes in the plot / story line
And they just jumped out at me. Was this a comedy/satire or what? Credibility was totally lost near the end. Then there are the cheesy special effects and recycled plot lines. It also didn't help that is was so obviously a Canadian production but is set in the US. At one point, I though I was watching DaVinci's Inquest but then they mentioned California. Yeah right, like that makes it believable. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Missed the first episode, so thought I'd check it out as the second one involved an aircraft. Oh boy - so we have a fire inside the fuselage and we're gonna increase airflow to blow it out (one of the writers remembered something about a scene from the movie 'Memphis Bell')? But to do that we're gonna roll inverted (to get the open nose wheel door into the jet stream??) - and then it was downhill from there. Thought it might have some potential, but they obviously expect the viewer to have zero technical knowledge.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well, looks like the show had better produce good ratings or there is a very real possibility Chance might become a "Human Target" for a Network bullet.

IMHO the whole thing depends on how the character developement/interaction goes. There seems to be good potential for the three leads.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts