Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
My guess is Disney+ will be the platform for programming targeted to kids and family and Hulu will be the platform for programming targeted for adults. I would assume that most of the content for both services will likely just be Disney and FOX as well as any other studios that were absorbed by these two companies. I believe there is also some Warner Bros series on Hulu. There was lots of CBS Studio stuff at one point too but I'm guessing all that disappeared when CBS All Access established itself.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Disney is and always has played the family friendly card. They have already stated that mainstream movie content will not be aired on Disney+. They have recently decided to sell Touchstone Pictures which was created to produce mainstream films. So yes, I can see Disney leaving much of their ABC content on Hulu. ABC is generally quite tame so some of it may make it onto Disney+.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am amused to no end that anytime something is announced as "coming soon internationally", people presume Canada will be instantly getting it. There are many reasons Hulu won't be coming to Canada anytime soon, imo. Most content is already locked up and there are much bigger markets out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Canada got Disney Plus and Disney owns Hulu, and Disney has announced they are expanding Hulu internationally then I think it stands to reason that Canada, if not immediately then at some point, will get Hulu although it obviously won't have the same content as Hulu in the United States.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think it was a terrible error in the first FTA to not make Canada and the USA into a single copyright and broadcasting domain. I don’t know if the Americans would have agreed but the Canadian content gang would have screamed in anguish and probably found a way to stop it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can see a streaming service called Hulu launching in Canada in 2021. I don't see it being the same version as the U.S. or what people have come to expect from that iteration. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the content Disney owns that would clash with +'s family-friendly persona. I'm not too sure how compelling an offer consisting of Freeform's garbage and the FX cable nets will be.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Their future is in the live-streaming business. Could be that the international roll-out in 2021 is on that side of their offering.

In the meantime, while most of their shows are on other platforms in Canada (many are on Prime Video), I'm not sure where Into the Dark landed on a CA service??

21 - 32 of 32 Posts