Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone if there is a wireless keyboard out there that has a built-in mouse either by pad or roller ball?

Please provide manufacturer and websites.

Thanks,

Elite

Pioneer Elite Pro 910HD
Pioneer Elite DVD - 59avi
Denon 4802 THX Ultra Receiver (7.1)
Rogers 3250HD

·
Registered
941 Posts
Here's one I use

and more Info here

It does have it's share of problems ... but then want doesn't

Minus
- Eats up batteries, make sure to buy some "AA" rechargables
- The mouse tends to not move well whan batteries are weak
- Sometime the mouse keeps on transmitting even when stopped

Plus
- Very compact
- can boot the computer and teach an IR remote to boot
- avilable in black

·
Registered
70 Posts
I find this one quite effective Interlink Versapoint RF Wireless Keyboard.

I bought mine from cdw.com (Good company that I trust) and while a little pricey works best for me as it does not require a surface to operate the mouse. It takes a little time to learn how to use the mouse pad (Much like learning to use a touchpad on a laptop). I have also found it beneficial to setup the mouse to for example, "Snap to" which moves the pointer to go to the default button when navigating dialogs.

Most of my navigation if using a Harmony remote and the Meedio front end. The keyboard is purely for administrative functions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yah, I know ... but the wife factor :rolleyes: precluded me from having a mouse and keyboard lying around in the living room. Given what I have paid overall for the home theater system and HTPC system, it was a relatively small cost for me to satisfy the wife yet get what I wanted.

Note also that CDW has the using for $169 (US) and you can find it cheaper at other eTailers but you get what you pay for (Shoddy service etc). The reason why this keyboard is not reasonably priced is that it's target market is NOT the consumer but rather the meeting room. I have noticed that it is also used by some high end home theater integration companies ... again because there are few options to this problem.

Just sharing my solution that solved my problem ...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sorry if it sounded like a put-down ... was not ment to be ...just surprised. :)

Most people would not pay $200 ca for a mouse/keyboard combo, but it it works, it would be worth every penny

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have sold a couple of those Interlink keyboards to clients and they really like them. But they are expensive. Good quality though.

I like the one with the trackball, quite nice.

What I would really like is the keyboard that HP bundles with their new Media Center computers that look like stereo components. I'm not sure where to get them, but maybe HP will sell them seperately. If you go to future shop you can try these keyboards on the hp systems, they are in the home theater section.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did a bit of research. Found the part number for the HP keyboard.

Keyboard [Electronic Accessories]

5069-7571 63.00 Keyboard assembly with trackball (Acrobat, DEC)

but, the RF Receiver ins integrated in the unit some how. Not sure how, it could be a card, but it could be on the motherboard. So not sure if there is a way to use it in a standard pc.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Piri said:
Anyone with new/updated insights or experience with wireless keyboard/mouse combos?
I have been using Logitech Bluetooth deNOVO KB and mouse combo for 2-3 months now. Love it, but very expensive. It scores 100% on WAF since its look matches my Princeton LCD monitor. The Mouse is very useful when running ffdshow , since all the buttons and the wheel can minmic the dvd player functions. I just needs a little surface to work on, like my leg, or sofa arm. It has 30 ft range. So it kind of serves a dual purpose of running the computer and also running home theatre software where only a mouse is required.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I second the Gyration keyboard and mouse myself, very nice combo. BTW, just found that IKEA sells a nice faux leather mouse pad that looks good in a living room environment as well.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
e268: Do you require SP2 from XP to run the bluetooth instruments?

I have been looking for a wireless keyboard but they are so ridiculously expensive. Especially when you consider a regular keyboard can be picked up for under $20.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I use xp sp2. I think you can use xp sp1, but you should check their web site, or if in doulbt, buy from BB so you can return it. Canada Computers.com and tiger direct has the lowest price.

·
Banned
529 Posts
BHoward,

I bought the keyboard that you use the ACK-573. I installed it in my PC but the trackball will only move the cursor up and down and not left or right?

I had a Logitech Cordless Duo installed could that be the issue, have you experienced this before?

edit: Nevermind the rocket scientists packaged quality batteries from Costco; once I put Duracells in all works fine now.

Crispy

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm looking at this SONY VAIO Keyboard which has a built-in touchpad & a secondary optical mouse. The styling is great and the touch pad flips over the keyboard. It has great wife-appeal and looks great.

I had a look at it in the local Sony Store and the drivers that come with it appear to work with any system running XP.

Now if it was only iRd rather than 2.4GHz WiFi ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts