Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to the HTPC DVR concept thus the reason for the questions here.

I am thinking about purchasing the Acer Aspire Revo as a way to stream media from my network storage device to the TV but at the same time I was wondering if it is possible to also use the Revo as a DVR since it has windows 7 with media center.

I am currently running a HD Bell Expressvu receiver,model 6100 with a single tuner. I have searched for the answer on here but cannot seem to find any post that talks about my exact questions. I am not interested in OTA recordings, I want to be able to record channels that I have available on my HD receiver.

I found some information on the USB tuners but no where is it clearly stated that I can use it to satisfy my needs as explained above.

Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Windows 7 Home Premium combined with a Hauppauge HD-PVR should be all you need to record HD. However, a Revo might not be the best unit for a PVR due to the limited disk space and weak CPU. Hopefully someone with a Revo can chime in here.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hauppauge hd-pvr

That's pretty much the only hd capture card that will do what you want

There are now win7 native drivers but you could look at dvblink as well.

It's actually not nearly as hard a process as it once was

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"There are now win7 native drivers but you could look at dvblink as well."

Could you please elaberate some on this, sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
intially win7 wouldn't recognize the HD-PVR as a tuner (it's not, it's a straight capture device)

so dvblink software found a way to trick MCE into seeing it as a satelite card

now win7 will see it as a valid tuner (some caveats tho)

the win7 integration works fine, but imo dvblink has more functionality (at a $$ cost)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have the Aspire Revo as well. Awesome little box.

I don't use Windows Media Centre, but it would seem to me that MC should be able to record it just as it would a local drive.

My only concern is if the Sat receiver isn't a dual-tuner model. Otherwise, you'll be stuck recording the same channel that you're watching.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Aspire Revo as well. Awesome little box.

I don't use Windows Media Centre, but it would seem to me that MC should be able to record it just as it would a local drive.

My only concern is if the Sat receiver isn't a dual-tuner model. Otherwise, you'll be stuck recording the same channel that you're watching.
So to record that one channel I will still need the Hauppauge WinTV HDPVR.....correct?

Is there any cheaper option available?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
If you want to record HD from your receiver the HD-PVR is pretty much your only choice.

Don't expect it to work flawlessly. I have mine working nicely now, but it took a year of on and off tinkering to perfect it, and I use firewire to change channels which won't work with Bell receivers.

I've heard the HD-PVR works better with SageTV, maybe a Sage user here could comment. That might be something for you to look at.

If you want a hobby, it's fun to play with. If you want a PVR that always works perfectly so your wife and kids can use it then this is not for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts