Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
I loved it. I was on the phone with a friend who does not use Chrome so I could only describe what I was seeing. I think I sounded like double-rainbow dude a couple of times.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dude! You're freaking me out, man!!

Good thing I quit pot in high school..lol..

Clever, great fun and touching.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Very cool video. But the first thought that came to mind when I watched this is: "Man... With HTML5, are we going to suffer with popup windows again?"

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It's easy to become jaded these days with all the new technology but when you think about what is in all that, its pretty amazing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That was amazing. Thanks for sharing OP

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I wasn't able to watch it because:

This site was designed with Google Chrome in mind and is unable to render properly in your browser.

For the best viewing experience, we recommend downloading Google Chrome and trying this site again.
Well, I only use Chrome and the "your browser" link confirmed it.

What version of Chrome does one need?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
OK - just to be sure I'm seeing what all of you are seeing. The big "reveal" at the end is
that you get to see a 360 degree view of the address you enter, as the "you" on the screen pivots around in the middle of the street.

Is that all there is to see? I admit that it is kinda cool, but really, not "double-rainbow" reaction-inducing.

Or am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Where your views not all in sync? Did you write a note at the end? Did you see the trees?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Or am I missing something?
The fact that it creates a mash-up on they fly and brings it all together is something I've never seen. I didn't find it that entertaining but the technology behind it was amazing.

“The Wilderness Downtown” is set to Arcade Fire’s new song “We Used to Wait”, and showcases many of the latest developments on the web. It features a mash-up of Google Maps and Google Street View with HTML5 canvas, HTML5 audio and video, an interactive drawing tool, and choreographed windows that dance around the screen. These modern web technologies have helped us craft an experience that is personalized and unique for each viewer, as you virtually run through the streets where you grew up

from here

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It's been taking a very long time to load for me. About 5 minutes and only at 44%, with this tab as my only other running app. But I am having fun "herding the birds" on the loading page with my mouse pointer! ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Not really that much different than if you had entered any address in Street View on Google Earth. I still don't see the point of 'sending a postcard' though. What is the intention behind that ? Maybe a former neighbour would respond to it ? I doubt if any today are the same as when I lived there as a boy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts