Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pair of HTC Desire Z yesterday on Bell Smartphone 50 plans. Being in a hurry I didn't fully test before leaving the retailer. When I got home I realized the data aspects of one of the phones was not working.

If I swap my sim into my wifes phone, data won't work on hers. If I put her sim in my phone, my phone works fine. Voice and SMS work fine on my phone. Every thing works if I connect it to my home wireless network. Once I leave home however, nothing. The settings show that it is connected. I get the 3G/H symbol on top with the arrows up and down. I can see that there is activity but as soon as I try to connect to a web page for example it immediately says "Data connectivity problem. The server failed to communicate. Try again later."

I spent two hours on the phone last night going through tech support and was told to go get a new sim. I bought the phone back first thing this morning. Two new sims later, exact same behaviour. I left it with them for two hours when I went back I was told a "ticket has been opened and escalated".

6 hours later I called and after another 2 hours on the phone, where they claim they rebuilt my account from the ground up, it still doesn't work. Then all of a sudden, right out of the blue, they tell me it is a country wide issue and they are working on it and it could be days before it is resolved. When I pointed out that my wife's device, same phone, almost identical plan, and working great, it then turns into a nation wide issue that effects my plan (which two seconds earlier they told me they had rebuilt). I know this is pure BS.

Has anyone else heard of any data issues with the entry level data plan $50 with call display added and unlimited texts shared? On my bell accounts page for the malfunctioning number there is an entry called "PDA ISPR Tracking". This does not show up on the other number's entry. What is that? After them supposedly rebuilding my account, it is still there.

Years ago I had data turned off to this account as I didn't use it and my phone was constantly connecting to it with errant button presses in my pocket. I point out this to them but they claim there is nothing on my account like that anymore. Wonder if this could be hidden?

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is this as widespread as they would like me to believe?

TIA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 3 with no data working on my plan. Another hour on the phone in store, another account rebuild, still no satisfaction.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Not quite sure what is going on there. The "PDA ISPR Tracking" is what tracks whether you've kept the data option on your plan for at least 12 months (otherwise you'd be charged a cancellation fee for removing data). It's something that's supposed to get added to each account, but doesn't always happen.

You may have to call data support and escalate to a supervisor to find out what's happening. Obviously your APN settings should be correct since the phone worked with the other SIM card.

UPDATE: Try changing the APN to inet.bell.ca instead of pda.bell.ca and see if that works. Both technically should be fine, but I did see at least one user report that they got their data working after making this change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it was set to pda.bell.ca. I put in another entry for inet.bell.ca and low and behold, it now works fine. So obviously my account is blocked or something on pda.bell.ca. The other identical phone for my wife works fine on pda.bell.ca so it has to be an issue with this account.

Many thanks to you for your suggestion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm now reading in various places that inet.bell.ca is going to get me reamed with data usage overage fees as this is an apn for tethering.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
If you recently signed up for that Smartphone 50 plan, it includes tethering, so there shouldn't be an issue at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update, apparently it has something to do with a "feature" on my account to do with sharing with my other account. Windows & Email 500 MB Shared is the feature name and a "master ticket" has been created looking into it. I'm told there are 44 unlucky people such as myself with this issue who had activations done late last week.

No known resolution time. I was told to not use inet.bell.ca for APN as I will get incorrectly billed.

·
Bell Employee
76 Posts
Yeah, Bell has an issue with that, is not just the Desire Z with that but basically any PDA that uses that specific data plan for PDA, the cheapest,

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you get this resolved????? I'm going through EXACTLY the same issue after changing to a new sim card. Bell keeps going back to the fact that its an unlocked phone, and ignoring the part that its worked for the past 2 months without issue, and that two other sim cards work in it perfectly with the pda.bell.ca apn settings. Inet.bell.ca is the only one that works for me, and it is indeed resulting in new charges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: Apparently there was a change made to my account when I got this new sim card changing my old "Email and internet 500" to the new one, but since I have an unlocked phone they will not help me. Even though:
1) There is a record of the change
2) Other simcards work fine in the phone
3) It was problem free until I got the new simcard.

Thank god my contract is up in 32 days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts