Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You have a great phone. I'd say wait until the true next level of smartphones with dual cores and killer graphics processors start coming out. The Moto Atrix is just around the corner from Bell.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
HTC tablet will be on my xmas list :)

The HD is sweet lookin... Just imagine what we will have to choose from when my 3years are up! :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
the HD is a great phone. my brother in-law in Asia has it. he's had it since October. it's a little outdated by the time it comes to canada which sucks. the android motorla axis is also coming to Canada and to Telus too, which has a faster CPU than the HD.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume you meant Motorola Atrix as the Axis is an old LG phone. There comes a point when all this processor power on a small handheld device is just excessive. I rather have the larger screen, "slower" processor and the HTC UI over the Atrix. I currently have the HTC Desire and it is pretty peppy, I'm not sold on the dual core CPU's yet, the majority of users wouldn't even need that kind of horsepower. Maybe in the ear future, the HTC Pyramid will come to Canada and then we will both be happy :)

http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/02/04/htc-pyramid-smartphone/#axzz1D4PX0mpW

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The more the merrier! Both in phones and horsepower. That HTC Pyramid sounds awesome!!! Hopefully they do bring that bad boy to Canada.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like Desire HD is now available :)

No term $499.99
1 year - $449.99
2 year - $399.99
3 year - $149.99

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up the new Desire HD today and love the screen size. It is obviously very similar in function to my Desire but has a lot more speed and smoothness to it (I assume it's due to the larger amount of memory). The sound quality of phone calls seems better and the Dolby speaker sounds very good. Definitely a good choice if you are looking for a new smartphone.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The TELUS website is showing that the DHD will be getting upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3) this summer :D

Upgrade to Android 2.3 coming this summer!
Make phone calls over the internet with VOIP when connected to Wi-Fi.
Improved power management for better battery life and device performance.
Back-up even more features on your Google account and remember things like Wi-Fi passwords, wallpapers, text messages and more.
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/htc_desire_hd/index.shtml

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nothing too exciting, but there are a few nice enhancements. I like the new "Quick Settings" menu that appears when you drag down the Notifications, and the way the Apps screen is now organized into All and Frequent. Other than a few other cosmetic changes, I don't notice too much that's different.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just moved from the HTC Desire Z from bell to the HTC Desire HD with telus and there are some small things about the new phone that I am slightly dissapointed with.

1.Where is the dedicated camera button? :mad: Next to impossible to take a self portrait/picture with someone else if you cannot see the touch screen to take a picture. I've paid for an app, Camera Advance, so I could assign my volume rocker as the shutter button.

2. The volume rocker and screen buttons are too flush with the frame of the phone. With a skin on, it's very difficult to depress the volume rocker

Other than that... I'm very happy with it. I wouldnt buy a non android phone, and HTC has not let me down so far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
.Where is the dedicated camera button? Next to impossible to take a self portrait/picture with someone else if you cannot see the touch screen to take a picture.
Run camera, tap Menu, select "Self portrait"... turn phone around so it can see you. Once your face is framed, it will snap the picture automatically.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Self portrait software wasn't what I was looking for.

But I did find an app, procapture, that allows me to assign my volume rocker as a shutter button.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Call it user error if you want, I didn't have any luck using the self portrait functionality that comes with the default camera software on my phone. Theres a lack of control over the moment the camera takes the image. I also don't like to have camera sounds on, ever, so that makes this feature even more difficult to use.

What resolved my particular issue was the ability to assign a hard button as a shutter button. Does that clear it up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts