Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy:

Total noob here. I just bought a Yamaha HT-5063 bundled with Klipsch speakers (Costco limited time offering).

I have Googled my heart out and can't find any basic instructions on connecting my stuff (and the instructions only show straight to TV).

It really should be simple as the receiver has 5 HDMI ports, among other things like two opticals and standard Component stuff up the wazoo. My TV is a Samsung LED.

Bottom line is I need to know what cable/connection do I run from the DVR to the TV and DVR to the receiver. It should be so simple and I can't seem to get it right!!

Many thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Here's the FAQ on Cables & Connections.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

We need to know the makes/models of all your equipment. If the equipment sending the signal has HDMI outputs, use those directly to the AVR. Then 1 HDMI connection to the TV from the output of the AVR.

For any equipment that doesn't have HDMI, use the best possible video and audio connection to the AVR. The AVR specs say it will transcode (upconvert) these signals to the HDMI output for the video. The specs also say this AVR has HDMI standby audio throughput, which means you should be able to listen to the audio on the TV if the AVR is in standby (not sure if this applies only to HDMI or all incoming audio - if it's for all incoming audio, the AVR will likely draw more power if that option is selected and you put it in standby.)

Some of these settings may be user-selectable and the menu for selecting these various options can be pretty daunting, so read the AVR's operating manual carefully, or get some hands on assistance.

See also the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQS, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 57. Is that as in Heinz or Passenger? :cool:

All my stuff is HDMI. DVR is Direct TV HD, TV is Samsung 55" LED. BD is Samsung.

DVR only has HDMI out.

·
Registered
580 Posts
BulaRae, I recently purchased a HTR-4063 , and it came with a CD-ROM explaining how to connect the HTR-5063/4063.
Check in the box for it..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts