1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New pricing:

• HP 16GB TouchPad with Wi-Fi - $400
  • HP 32GB TouchPad with Wi-Fi - $500

In June, HP announced these would sell for $$520 and $620 respectively.

Can you say, lousy sales?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
In June? Didn't the Touchpad go on sale on July 1 in the US and July 15 in Canada?

And I believe that when it went on sale in Canada they dropped their price to ~$450 (16GB) on day one.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yeah, and they are practically giving them away to retail employees. Less than $140, taxes in, at FS/BB for the 16GB. 2-day promo price.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
i think there attempting to take a loss on the gen 1 version so they can up there adoption rate.

as there is a rumored gen 2 (faster more ram) version in the works to be released soon.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes in June. HP announced Canadian pricing for the HP Touchpad on June 20th. The first Canadian price drop occurred when it was released on July 15th.

as there is a rumored gen 2 (faster more ram) version in the works to be released soon.
Well, it's a given that every tablet computer with more RAM and faster processor will be updated soon. It's a nature of the technology.

I just think its an Edsel. If HP had come out with this in January or February for $399 then I think it would have sold millions. Now its a me-too device that doesn't run iOS or Android.

I repeat what I said on June 30th
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1279398&postcount=3

I give it 12 to 18 months before its gone.

(FWIW, I like HP and was routing for the Touchpad when it was announced in February but practically speaking I just don't see it lasting now)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
"Piles of unshiftable HP fondle-slabs choke Best Buy"

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/08/17/hp_touchpads_best_buy/

Crates of HP fondleslabs are mounting up stateside at Best Buy as it emerged the retailer has shifted less than one-tenth of its 270,000 strong unit order.

Evidence is mounting that HP's shiny slate, dubbed the OuchPad in the US, is failing to capture the attention of shoppers on both sides of the Atlantic, as indicated by shipment figures for Europe earlier this week.

According to All Things Digital, Best Buy flogged 25,000 of the devices – not factoring returns into the stats – and is trying to clear some square footage in its stores by asking HP to take some back and knock a bit off its bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts