Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So, the world cup has made me thirsty for more football (soccer) and I need help from other football fans to figure out how to catch more of the action.

I'm interested in watching La Liga, EPL and MLS once the Whitecaps join the league. What's the story with these? As far as I can tell, there's GolTV, Setanta and Fox Soccer as the dedicated channels. All of them with pathetic picture quality and no HD feeds it seems. Is that it? Is that all we have to go on here?

I may have been spoiled by CBC's great coverage of the world cup but from what I've seen so far on GolTV, it's just not watchable.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
CBC does show the Torornto FC games.

otherwise those three SD channels are all we get.

Also, TLN might show soccer games. I know they used to but I that was a couple years ago so things might change. Also try the US Networks. If I recall, one of them showed the MLS games on the weekend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Setanta sports is supposed is to go HD on Aug 1st, no carrier confirmation though. The Score will have Serie A in HD but Goltv going HD is anyones guess

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
i posted in atleast 3 threads stating GOL TV has personally wrote back to my email saying they DO plan to go HD, so I'm not sure why you guys still posting like you do not know anything, i even made a thread on it.

Anyways gol TV does not show Seria A games no more, only coppa italia stuff, pretty sure THe Score HD will be showing them all, and maybe RAI Italia will show the b-games (im not talking about Seria B)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I never said they were not going HD only that we don't know when it will be. In the states Goltv HD will launch on Aug 1st and Directv has an agreement to carry it on that day. Goltv Canada and Goltv USA are not the same i.e. different programming.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyways gol TV does not show Seria A games no more, only coppa italia stuff, pretty sure THe Score HD will be showing them all, and maybe RAI Italia will show the b-games (im not talking about Seria B)

RAI owns the Italian language rights and will contunue showing 4 live matches each weekend irregardless of which games are on The Score.

I very much doubt The Score will show "all" the Serie A games. Last 3 seasons when they had EPL rights, they only retained 1 match per round and sublicensed matches to Sportsnet/Setanta. Expect a sublicensing deal to be announced in the least involving TeleLatino and perhaps even FSW Canada - who I can't see surviving without these rights.

Hawk

·
Banned
844 Posts
Here's the lowdown on where to watch what this coming season:

EUROPE

EPL (England)- Setanta, Sportsnet & TSN2
Coca-cola Championship (England)- Setanta
F.A. Cup (England)- Setanta
Scottish Premier League (Scotland)- Setanta

Ligue 1 (France)- Setanta & TV5
Bundesliga (Germany)- GolTV Canada
Serie A (Italy)- The Score*
Coppa Italia (Italy)- N/A
Eredivisie (Netherlands)- N/A
Russian Premier Liga (Russia)- Setanta
La Liga (Spain)- GolTV Canada
Copa Del Rey (Spain)- GolTV Canada

UEFA Champions League- Setanta & Sportsnet
UEFA Europa League- Telelatino & Euroworld Sports

NORTH/SOUTH AMERICA

Primera División (Argentina)- N/A
Serie A (Brazil)- GolTV Canada
Primera A (Colombia)- GolTV Canada

CONCACAF Champions League- GolTV Canada
Copa Libertadores- N/A

*- The Score has purchased the rights to the Italian Serie A but it is unknown what matches or how many they plan to air. It is speculated that TLN will purchase the rights to air some matches as well and possibly FSWC.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
According to James Sharman, The Score will air 2-3 Serie A matches per week. I'd guess 1 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday, but who knows.

Also Coppa Italia airs on Gol TV (assuming this contract continues), and Gol TV's coverage of the Copa del Ray is spotty at best because Gol TV US doesn't have rights to the final.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Also Coppa Italia airs on Gol TV (assuming this contract continues)
I believe that GolTV only had a one year deal but I could be mistaken?! This deal was signed a couple years back when GolTV aired Serie A so I don't expect them to continue airing this now but who knows?! Without Serie A coverage, doesn't really makes sense to me for them to air Coppa Italia, this would be a good pick up for TLN.

According to the wiki article on this tournament, the attendance for Coppa Italia matches is poor (except in the final), seems Italians don't really care for this tournament?! If true then I don't see viewership being very high for this and GolTV would be better off picking up the German Cup instead since they currently air Bundesliga matches every week.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Whats Euroworld Sports?
Good question.

It's on free preview right now on Rogers 425. They seem to be showing Europa League matches from last season constantly. I don't know what else they will be showing. Their website redirects you to Telelatino.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Regarding Coppa Italia, Gol TV carried it last season, even though they didn't have Serie A. According to Wikipedia, Gol TV's contract with the Coppa Italia did run out at the end of last season. I haven't heard who has it now, but I'd assume its either Gol TV or Fox Soccer Channel. You are right though, they generally don't care about it in Italy, games are played on weekday evenings.

Gol TV's idea is that if Gol TV US airs it, they should air it too because it results in cheap programming. Gol TV US doesn't have rights to the German Cup, so I don't think we will see it on Gol TV Canada.

As for Euroworld Sports, if you don't have Rogers then you don't have a clue what it is, I sure don't. It is owned by Corus (like TLN) and I guess it will air Europa League and maybe some other European sports events that aren't covered in Canada. I really don't know though, I'm going to do some research on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am grateful we get as much football as we do in this country, but I wish Setanta would at least bring back the Ajax-Feyenoord matches they showed when they first started, one of the great rivalries in the sport. Speaking of can someone explain to me why the Old Firm's Celtic-Rangers is never on live tv in this country in any sort of format? Surely there is an audience for it.

As for that Eursport World, I have no idea where that is going either, during the World Cup they carried Italian language telecasts of the games, and now its non stop Europa League, seems nothing more than an offshoot of Telelatino.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Speaking of can someone explain to me why the Old Firm's Celtic-Rangers is never on live tv in this country in any sort of format? Surely there is an audience for it.
There is an audience for it, in fact there is such a good audience for it that Setanta is able to sell the games exclusively to bars and pubs around the country as part of their premium service, which makes more money for them.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
so then it makes sense to drop the Rogers Sports package, and just have the Score for Seria A games? I am also a subscriber of RAI Italia, so I'll get my dose of Seria A games on there every weekend too...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can't see any channels picking up the MLS All Star game this season. TSN carried it last year but no sign of it yet. Anyone have any idea if it will be on in Canada?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts