Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Hope this is in the right part of the forum. But here it goes anyway.

How do I watch tv on my laptop(Not really watching tv, more wanting to use it for installation) (Signal)...I hooked the HDMI cable up to both the receiver and my laptop, but it doesnt show up on the laptop.....is there something special I need to do this or am iu doing something wrong?

thanks

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
As AFF said, the HDMI port on a PC is an output port. While some laptops may have a composite video input, most only have video outputs and a USB video capture device will be needed.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I just read a post by a regular on this forum, Peano, who uses a portable DVD Player for installations, that is a great idea, as they are getting cheaper.

I had a stock of small cheap 7" B/W TV's that I used to use.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I just noticed the OP says to watch HD. That USB device I suggested won't do that. A Hauppauge HD PVR would work but it's a bit over the top for a laptop. Using something like SageTV with a Hauppauge HD PVR would also work but now we are getting into media servers and a more complicated setup.

·
Registered
520 Posts
He said both, Bell HDTV and not wanting it to watch, but for installations. lol

Anyway, I'd recommend a tv from dealextreme, get like a 7" colour flat panel for around 70-80 bucks.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I believe some portable TVs and DVD players have composite and/or RF inputs. Screen sizes are as small as 3.5". Some can be purchased for about $100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts