Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guyz, it seems we are not using the external HD we bought for our 9242, so I erased everything on it and removed it from the 9242, I would like to use it for saving some important files off our laptop, when I connect it to the laptop it cannot recognize at all, is there something I need to do to the HD for use back on the comp, any help would be great please thanx !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody..................nobody.................somebody..............help a brother out , please and thanx !

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
With Windows, open up Disk Manager (Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Create and format hard disk partitions.) Left click on the device and delete all partitions. (Make sure it is the correct device. The partitions should be listed as unknown.) Create a new partition and format it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im using Vista and dont see the correct way like ur sugesting, any other ideas, please and thanx !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found out how to get into the disk managment for vist, and can see the drive, but cannot do anything to it, any other ideas ?

thanx again !

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The 9242 formats the drive for Linux. I am not sure how to reformat it from Vista, but there is a way I think.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think when I deleted all the files it had when connected with the 9242, then hook up to my laptop, it would have asked to format it, I can see it in disk managment, but cannot do anything from there, it is a 1TB laCie drive which is supposed to work best with bell PVR's, either way I need it going again, thanx for the help guyz !

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
USB might be the problem. You may have to open it up and connect sata or ide direct to a PC to do the work on the drive.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Would it be possible to use a Live CD Linux Distro and Format the Drive in NTFS.?

Is that possible.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no i cant do anything to the drive, if i right click none of the options r availible, i called bell today to see what they would have to say, and they said i would have to call lacie for help cause its their drive, had no time to play today, gonna try an xp based comp tomorrow, any other ideas would be great guyz, thanx for the help !

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
OOps. Right click on the partition and choose Delete. (I said left in the previous post. Don't know my right from my left anymore.) :eek: It works in XP and Win7 so should work in Vista.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There may also be Lacie setup software downloadable from them. If there is, it should see the HDD, and if the software can make a boot disk, even better. With the HDD plugged in, boot straight to the Lacie setup and it should see the HDD.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
All the above information is correct, but you will have to be logged in as Administrator.
The reason for doing this, is that not just anyone can wipe your drives clean, therefore you may want to do this offline, to prevent any of the vulnerabilities of Windows being open to attacks from the net.
Also you say you have already wiped the drive clean, so you may be able to just partition the drive and not have to format it, which will make the whole process much quicker.

see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Can-I-repartition-my-hard-disk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK seems ScaryBob got me on the right track, deleted it, and had the option to format now, format is done and drive is now recognized, thanx for all the help guyz, its back to life !

cheers !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts