Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just look to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to monitor my own internet usage. I am with Eastlink cable in Nova Scotia and have the Motorola SBG6580 that seems to work quite well. I am using 2 desktop computers, a Wii, Xbox 360 and an Ipod Touch 4. I will be adding a laptop to work from home within the next month and we do use a decent amount of Netflix on both of the above noted systems. I am looking for a solution that would monitor the bandwidth at the modem level due to the other devices not being trackable. I have spoken with Eastlink support on this matter and they say that my current plan (Extreme 15) is unlimited so they do not keep any records. I am considering moving to the Extreme 30 package (for $10 more per month) but at some indeterminate point in the future, that plan will be hit with a 250gb cap. They say there will be prior notice but I would like to have some data of my own to monitor my downloadin/uploading habits to see if the Extreme 15 is a better fit for me as it will remain unlimited. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I apologize and should have clarified. The SBG6580 is an all in one modem/router. Up until getting this unit about 5 weeks ago, I was using a WRT54G with Tomato on it. I suppose I could hook it back up but I was hoping to be able to stick with this "All In One" solution. Thanks for the reply Johnny.

·
Registered
125 Posts
any further updates to this? I have the same wifi modem from Eastlink and multiple sources accessing the internet (laptops, iPad, etc) so i would also liek to track my usage at the router.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
That is something you should probably ask Eastlink about since its their router and they probably don't let you tinker with it.

FYI, all Netgear routers come with an bandwidth usage meter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts