Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there guyz, I have searched hi and low and cannot find a proper how-to for this, i know the easiest would be to eliminate 1 router but thats not the easiest for me, so here goes, I have my Bell wireless modem and dlink-655 together feedin everything in the home theatre plus wifi for the basement, at the other end of the house (bungalow) I have a dlink-615 feedin the boyz rooms plus wifi for the backyard, all I would like to do is be able to share files between all the PC's in the house , Im sure this is possible, 4 PC's are using win7, 2 on vista, hopefully we have a network guru here that can help me figure this out, thanx alot guyz !

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Not sure about your setup, but are all the computers on the same subnet like 192.168.1.xx ? Turn DHCP off on the dlink and let the Bell modem provide the network addresses. Then you'll need to turn file sharing on all the computers and make sure you have shared or public folders where you fikes will go.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Basically, you want to turn the 615 into a wireless access point as opposed to a wireless router. It should be in the settings to do so. If not, I believe the 615 supports third party firmware that will.

This assumes the bell modem is simply acting as a modem and the 655 is doing the routing work. the 615 would then be connected to the 655 acting as a wireless access point, bridging the backyard + boys' connections to the 655.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if turning the 615 into an access point keeps the wireless then thats ok , I have game consoles wired , and laptops on wifi, on the 615, for the bell modem only things like my BD player,bell 9242, and Wii are wired to it, the 655 has a PS3, HTPC and office PC wired to it, and 2 laptops on wifi, basicly the boyz wanna stream media from my HTPC to there laptops up stairs at the other end of the house, I have read that what I need to do is set the 655 ip addy to 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, and static ip range to 192.168.0.100 to 150, then on the 615 which is wired to the 655, turn DCHP off and ip addy should be 192.168.0.2, and subnet 255.255.255.0, and static ip range to192.168.0.151 to 200, but this fails to work, I lose access to the 615 config page, and have to reset it an reload the config file back to the way it was, would jus like to be able to see all pc's in network !

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
You have the IPs set up how I have done it successfly (although there is no need for static range on the second router, just a LAN DHCP range on the first, where all devices on your network get their DHCP configuration from).

You need to connect the line from the first to the second router (now access point) into one of the LAN ports on the that router, not the WAN port, unless the router specifically has a WAP mode. You should not need a crossover cable, I never have.

Right now, the second router in my setup is a Belkin with wireless, in its WAP mode, off of my D-link DI-704P (which is the only router that works well with my provider).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts