Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How to set up 2 Shaw HD Boxs to 2 TV's in same room?

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  smp01 
#1 ·
Hey guys, football season is here and I cant stand flipping channels back and forth soooo and I want to set up two 42" LG tvs to 2 Shaw HD boxes. The TV's need to be side by side. I have the Shaw boxs and the two TV's...

How would I do this? Wouldnt the shaw remote change the channel for both boxes? Is there a single remote that could operate box shaw boxes?

Would I need any other hardware to complete this?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

#2 ·
You'll need 2 remotes and you'll have to change the default remote address of one of the remotes in the menu from 0000 to another number, ie 0002. It's simple, really.

#3 ·
actually a single SD remote will work. You need to program the 2nd box to another address and manually use one of the remote devices (eg aux). To do this you need to follow the instructions to set up your remote to work with a TV or DVD, just use the code 0001 or 0002 or 0003 up to 7(?) I may not have the correct of leading zeros, but I have done it.

You will need to make sure one of the receivers is off so you know which one is being changed.

1 - turn off a receiver, leave one on.
2 - go through the process of switching receiver address to 0002
3 - program your DVD button to 0002
4 - reprogram you SAT button back to 0000 if it was changed

receiver 1 goes on SAT button
receiver 2 goes on DVD button

I'm just going from memory, so I may not 100% spot on but this is basic idea.

#6 ·
Just the person I want to talk to. :) I've been trying to do this for years, as we have all our receivers in one room. We had a 505 and a 530, now a 505, 530 and a 630. In years past, we were able to do what you're suggesting here with that "older" remote, I don't recall the model. It's the universal remote (non-IR) that came with SD receivers and still worked under that method of programming the remote code where you did the whole thing directly from that "Change Remote Address" screen. It has orange buttons at the top as opposed to red.

But the IRC550 and the RF600 work under a different methodology for programming devices. I've tried what you suggested to program one of our other receivers onto one of the other buttons, whether it be DVD, AUX, whatever, but it somehow *knows* when you put in the code 000 to 007 or whatever for a satellite receiver that it's for a satellite receiver -- and yes, I even tried it with four digits, like 0000 and it made no difference. It just changes the remote address on the SAT button. I've tried everything I could possibly think of, but have been unable to get it to comply.

I tried it again today after reading what you wrote. I even put on our DVD player, covered up the front of all the receivers, removed the antennae for the 530 and the 630. I attempted to put the AUX from the IRC550 remote on code 006, which is the code for our 630. I tried it with the DVD button too. When I finished, what it did was change the SAT code to 006, meaning it worked now with the 630, but the 530 didn't work.

I also tried it with the AUX button from the new RF600 remote, but it's even less flexible. Believe me when I tell you that I'm following the instructions correctly. I've set extra TVs, numerous things. But *specifically* to get either the IRC550 or RF600 remote to work with more than one satellite has been nothing but a dream for me.

Using the older remote, obviously, isn't really an option for anything other than the 505, as it's missing many of the necessary buttons for the 530 and/or 630 as it wasn't designed for a receiver of this type.

So, if you actually found a way of doing this with either the IRC550 or RF600 remotes, I would totally appreciate it if you could write here with the instructions of *exactly* what you did to accomplish this. It would be greatly appreciated.

The Hans
Sitting with a remote for the 505, 530 and 630, not to mention one for the TV...

#7 ·
Get one of the old pvr remotes and you can do it and it will have the skip, rewind, etc. etc.

I don't think it can be done with the new ones, as you indicate. Here's a case where there is no consultation with actual users and how these things are used so they elminate one of the most important features on the new and improved.
New and improved eh!!:rolleyes:

#8 ·
Get one of the old pvr remotes and you can do it and it will have the skip, rewind, etc. etc.

I don't think it can be done with the new ones, as you indicate. Here's a case where there is no consultation with actual users and how these things are used so they elminate one of the most important features on the new and improved.
New and improved eh!!:rolleyes:

Note to self..have to think about selling the few I have lying around. :>)

#9 ·
Hans

Yes, you are likely correct - I was using one of the older remotes to control 2 separate 401s. And to your point, I have not tested with new remotes. Mainly because since I purchased a harmony remote years ago, I have hardly ever used the the SD remotes. I think I have three, two have never had batteries put in them. My new 630 remote will likely never get used as well. But I will go through the process of trying to program a new remote to the AUX button.

Having said that, I know you can program a Harmony remote with 2 different SD addresses to control 2 receivers, but the activity based format of Harmony doesn't lend itself to favourably to controlling two 505s or 630s etc. You might have to go in and out of device mode, not the best for Harmony's. I may have to think more on how to make this easier for harmony

So, back to the orig question, I guess it is best to simply use 2 remotes, assigned to different address - pending further testing.

#11 ·
My Harmony 880 remote works very well controlling 2 x 630's and a 505,etc viewed in the same room.
My wife only uses my harmony remote to switch from a 630 to another 630 and she then uses a StarChoice remote model URC 545 to control both 630''s. On that model Star Choice remote I was able to program one 630 address to the SAT button, another 630 remote address to the DVD button, and she can also control the volume of our Harmon Kardon receiver with the StarChoice volume buttons. We each have our own remote to control both 630's.

#13 ·
I have done some thinking on how to best use the Harmony. I know it could easily handle the 2 SD receivers and treat them as separate devices but going in and out of device mode is not a strength for the Harmony.

What you could set up is 2 activities. 1st activity controls 1st receiver (and TV) and a single press will flip to other activity which is set up to control other receiver/tv. You would need to adjust the power options in the activities to leave the devices on when you switch. You would have full PVR control on each receiver.

It would take some time to get this working the way want - plan on a couple of hours of tweaking, but once you got it down, your mother-in-law could operate it - too harsh? - ok, my mother-in-law could.

So to answer the original question, this is how I would control 2 tvs, 2 receivers with a single remote, if for some reason I needed to watch all of that football at the same time. It may be easier to simply go to a sports bar with a bunch of TVs :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.