Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I at present have just analog cable but would like too also
have OTA DTV since I live in Toronto and have a good line of sight too the CN Tower. My new TV has a Quam tuner in it. Is there a way to combine the 2 signals into one coaxial cable??? If not,
what would be an alternative??

Thanks for your time
Rob

·
Registered
180 Posts
3. For analog cable get a NTSC PVR (like the TiVo Series 2 DT) and connect your cable to that, then S-Video to your TV.
4. Go digital cable (SD or HD).

·
Registered
826 Posts
From post 21 in Stampeder's excellent OTA Knowledge Base & FAQ

Can I run Cable TV and OTA on the same coax line?

You cannot have Cable TV signals on the same coaxial cable as OTA TV signals. There is a risk of signal leakage, which is treated very seriously by the authorities. For more information see the Signal Leakage Between CATV and OTA FAQ.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
ericball's analogue cable solution is good too since I doubt you'd be getting any Clear QAM signals from Rogers.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I use an A/B switch. You cannot combine the two feeds (unlike Direct Broadcast Satellite), as Cable TV uses the same spectrum as OTA channels.

In Kitchener, the only clear QAM channels (besides audio-only music and radio stations) I get are BET TV (standard definition), and the PPV promo channel.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am fortunate that my Samsung TV has 2 coax inputs. That said, I don't use it for cable. Instead, I use a HTPC with 2 combo tuners and a third hybrid tuner. That allows me to record 3 ATSC and 2 NTSC channels at the same time. I use Vista MCE and I can get full guide listings for all the channels. I personally love it and the unit is extremely intelligent as to what it records for me. If you have the money to spare, I'd recommend a HTPC.

The poor-man's way would be to use a DVD or VHS recorder to tune the cable (NTSC) and your TV's input to handle the ATSC. You can probably pickup a DVD recorder for under $80 nowadays.

·
Registered
2 Posts
any recommended a/b switch?

I'm in the same situation: one input only on the Sharp.:(
I was going to try to go through the VCR and then use the component video to the TV.

I think its easier to go A/B switch but I'm worried about the quality of the switch and how much to spend on something that's good bang for the buck. Does anyone have any experience with the products available out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Run OTA And Cable On Same TV?

Hi everybody,
here is my problem:
I have a subscription with a cable company (Videotron, Montreal), analogic version, quality: so-so but numerous chanels;
I have an antena: few chanels but fantastic quality.
to go from a mode to another, the built-in ATSC tuner must scan the entire band and it takes forever;
so I think I must buy an external tuner and plug it to an HDMI port of the TV;
TV to HDMI is quick.
is there a better way to solve my problem?
Which tuner is best for that?
Thank you
jjc_Mtl

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
jjc_Mtl,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with your solution. Buying an external tuner is the cleanest and easiest way to solve your problem. The thing you should consider, though, is that most of the external tuners out there have previous-generation chip sets. So if you have any weak channels, then you might not get as good of reception on those marginal channels compared to your regular TV. I don't think this is a big enough problem to stop you, though, because if something really important is on TV you can always go back to your regular TV tuner if necessary.

Is your TV able to connect to a computer? If so, then I highly recommend the HDHomeRun dual tuner. It will solve your problem even better than an external tuner box. The "HDHomeRun Dual" made by SiliconDust connects to your home network and can be accessed by any computer on your network. With Windows Media Center your computer can be a PVR.

Good luck and enjoy your OTA!

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
Just as an FYI, Videotron is doing away with some analogue cable, so you may be better off getting a digital STB from them instead of the other way around. Here's the thread. Eventually all analogue cable will be gone and you'll need a digital STB (or adaptor) for cable. I don't know if you're on basic or more than basic with Videotron. If more than basic, I'd suggest getting the cable STB. Your quality should also go up with the digital STB.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143167

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another solution, for now, would be to run your antenna into your TV, and run the analog cable into a VCR. Plug the VCR into some RCA jacks and just use it to tune cable channels. This will work as long as analog cable exists.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Which model of TV do you have?

My Sony Bravia allows me to turn "cable" on or off--no need to rescan, and I use an A/B switch on the back to switch between cable and antenna.

I'm wondering if perhaps your TV has the same capability....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Get a digital cable box. Not only will this give you better reception and the ability to subscribe to high definition cable channels (which look so much better than standard def channels on HDTVs), but it will free up your cable in jack to use for your over-the-air antenna. This is my setup on both of my high-def TVs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a Samsung that will let you switch modes very quickly by pressing Tools and then either the red/yellow buttons on the remote.

TV is in storage right now, so I can't give you more than that, but I know it's really simple. My Sony will also store both modes, but you have to go through the menu to switch, so it's a bit more complicated.

You'd also need an A/B switch for the TV's coaxial input, so you'd have to walk up to the TV and switch it. They sell them at Canadian Tire; conveniently enough, the inputs are labeled "Antenna" and "Cable".

That's probably the simplest option. If your TV doesn't do this, then you can get a box like PhotoJim or HWP said.

To be fair, my Samsung only cost around $400 last year, and you'd probably pay a good chunk of that for a box alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you everybody for your responses;
I will try the VCR solution; I though the quality would be poor;
it'a composite video signal (yellow plug);

My TV (Insignia) has only one F coax connector, no A/B switch.
An external A/B switch does not work. I have try it. I must rescan the band.

I found this tuner:
Sabrent TV-LCDHR High-Resolution TV Tuner Box
is it a good solution ?

thanks again
jjc

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
jjc_Mtl

I am/was doing what you describe in Kingston with Analog Cable (Adaptor now) and a SD Standard Def. Digital OTA convertor box.

It worked / works well in my case. Still.

- Analog Cable in to the TV set's only (1) RF input.

- Digital OTA Convertor box, in to one of the TV set's Composite inputs ( Yel Red White RCA cables).

And just switching the TV back and forth between "TV" and "Video 1" input with the TV's remote. (switching is pretty fast and easy - and you can keep both tuners "ON" and tuned to channels of interest)

So - if you can find a OTA Digital convertor box that has the Composite outputs. That's one solution.

Alternate idea - Get an old Analog Cable Convertor Box w/remote, and use that as your Analog Cable tuner. There should be plenty of those around - second hand and inexpensive. Find one with Composite outputs, Video / Audio outputs, then you could use your own TV's OTA Over the Air tuner - combined Digital and Analog(?) tuner - and connect your antenna right directly to your TV - no need for the OTA Digital Convertor Box.

But YES - as others mention - Analog Cable may "GO AWAY" soon.

Analog Cable *IS* going away in Kingston with COGECO:
We have the "Digital Adaptors" now in Kingston w/COGECO since the deadline for digital migration on Cogeco Kingston has now passed.

... Even so ... The OTA Digital Convertor Box is still connected and working via Composite input on that TV.

[ A couple things to consider / think about: ]

- Any CLEAR QAM / Unencrypted Digital signals - from your Cable Providor ?

If yes, then if your TV has a combined QAM tuner / Analog Cable tuner ... then you might wanna continue to use your TV as the Cable Tuner - so you can possibly get the Clear QAM stuff too.

- Any Analog channels still being transmitted OTA in your region that you can receive? That you want to watch? ( if you're in Montreal - it's probably mostly digital OTA now ... but just wanted to mention this - as you may still have analog receiveable in your region, from outside Montreal)

If yes, then you might want to try and figure out a way to use the "Analog Pass Through" feature, possibly, of your OTA Digital Convertor Box ... if you get one of those ... ]

But Yes ... as others here mention - if you decide to just get a Digital Set top box (or "Digital Adaptor") from your Cable Providor. Then hopefully you can just then use the TV's own Tuner as the OTA Tuner. Antenna straight in to the TV's RF input.

... And hopefully then, make sure that the Cable Providor's Digital Box / or Adaptor, that you get - has working Video / Audio outputs of some sort that you can connect to one of your TV's free and available inputs (ex. composite, component, s-video, HDMI .. and Audio inputs)

(ie. not like the Cable company Digital "ADAPTORS" we have in Kingston with Cogeco - the Adaptor's there have only an Analog NTSC RF output, ch 3 or ch 4 - NO other type of output ! )
Otherwise - you will be forced to "Tie Up" / "Use" your TV's One and ONLY RF input for the Cable service. And can't easily use the TV's own OTA - over the air - tuner(s).

Lots to think about actually ...

We've got a mix of many things still.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thank you everybody for your responses;
I will try the VCR solution; I though the quality would be poor;
it'a composite video signal (yellow plug)
It is poor - but so is 4:3-formatted analog cable on an HDTV. You won't be losing anything, but it will still be terrible compared to OTA HDTV or HD digital cable.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Alternate idea:

I experimented with a ATSC dig / NTSC analog SD/HD OTA tuner box.
[ Purchased at a discount electronics store - I will not mention the Model here ]

I discovered that it had the Cable Tuners in it as well (!) Analog Cable and Clear QAM Cable combined tuner.

So in "Cable MODE" that box did both Analog Cable and Clear QAM combined.

[ It also had "OTA - over the air MODE" ATSC dig / NTSC analog as well in SD/HD]

It had HD outputs too.
Component R B G, and R W stereo audio. HDMI also - but that was flakey on that box.

ie. if you find a cable tuner box that does Clear QAM too

So if you have Clear QAM from your Provider and Want it from your Cable Providor - a tuner box like that one might be of use.

[ I am thinking the "Good" "Desirable" solution has the antenna going straight into the HDTV's RF tuner - so you can enjoy the "few" high quality HD channels from OTA -over the air - with antenna. And also - any possible Analog OTA channels still.

And the CABLE - the SD, standard definition - Analog Cable, w/many channels, then goes into another TV "input" via a separate external tuner. VCR as mentioned earlier or older Analog Cable Convertor, similar idea, or if you have Clear QAM available to you and want it ... a tuner box that does that too. ]

[ At times I did note some Clear QAM channels available in HD ! from the Cable Providor! Free! But not usually, and not for very long. They seemed to close down any HD Clear QAM to SD only / or encrypt it, very quickly - they did not leave it for long - and that is the only reason why I mention ... possibly... the HD/SD Tuner box for combined Analog Cable / Clear QAM - and use a Component RGB RW input or an HDMI input - in order to get and enjoy any possible channel like that in Clear QAM HD - SLIM CHANCE ... but never know in the Future - that sort of box might become of more use, or more useful or valuable to you in the future - hard to say.]

1 - 20 of 67 Posts