Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1281 - 1300 of 1319 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
As mentioned in my post I never even had 82 lnb hooked up when I was aligning it.

I have a feeling there is something out of plumb on this huge metal post which is why I'm having to put the elevation at 43 not 29 and is therefore making it impossible to pick up 82 because the elevation angle is off.. does that make sense ?

If that's the case I'll just have to lock the #s the way the angle finder sites show and adjust the mast a bit to compensate for the elevation being higher than it should be. (I just have to drive to the small town to do this so I wanted to make sure I have several ideas in my back pocket before I head out there again)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Guessing you may have an obstruction in the way of 82 that isn’t an obstruction at 91?
Should rule that out, and if confirmed find a better location to install with good LOS to both sats.

You could also have a bad coax associated with the 82 LNBF. With an 82 TP selected in the rcvr setup screen, make sure the 82 LNBF
Coax has DC power on it. Else all bets are off.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Normally I'm pretty good at setting up the dish when camping, (5 to 10 minutes) but last time we went up north and I had no luck at all, I did adjust the tilt. I'm thinking being that far north the satellites would be lower and there was trees in the way.
Is there a (android) phone app you can point in the sky that will show you were the sat's are using the phone's camera, kinda like SkyView does with the stars?
Thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pointing dish - Setting 82 first instead of 91

Did anyone tried to max reception on sat 82 lnb at 100% first and then plug in the lnb 91, the switch and run a check switch after?

I'm thinking since sat 82 have the HD channels I would rather have sat 82 at 100% and 91 at 89-90%.

Let me know if this worked or not and your results if you have any. I'm thinking of trying it in the next few days.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Did anyone tried to max reception on sat 82 lnb at 100% first and then plug in the lnb 91, the switch and run a check switch after?

I'm thinking since sat 82 have the HD channels I would rather have sat 82 at 100% and 91 at 89-90%.

Let me know if this worked or not and your results if you have any. I'm thinking of trying it in the next few days.
Your logic is sound except attaining 100% on all Channels virtually never happens. I tend to fine tune Sat Dishes (yes I muck with Shaw Direct too - this is a bit of a hobby) to the channels the owner (usually my friends) want to watch the most. Typically these have been HD as few folks care about SD channels anymore.

Like Fisherguy said, "you're not going to be able to see any difference between 75% and 100%." but the closer to 100% you are the less chance of snow or rain fade occurring just when your favorite team is going for a touchdown to win the Grey Cup! (I had to use a Canadian reference!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lost signal

I installed and pointed my dish several years ago. 20" with a single LNB lined up to the 91* sat with an 85% signal. Just came back from a two month vacay to find I had no programming. After checking a few other things I finally checked the signal. 0%. I did not change any settings on the receiver. Neighbour said we had a big wind that could have moved the dish. I tried grabbing it and moving it around and could not budge it. I put on a spare lnb still nothing. Checked the coax good with a multimeter. Any chance the receiver (2700) has gone bad and can't process a good signal? (I reset the receiver several times using different methods.)
FrankyM.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Could be bad receiver. Could be tree grew up and is now blocking signal.
Do you know anyone else with BELL? Can you take your receiver there and test it?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
2700?? Geez, I would scrap it and move on to something from the current decade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, majortom you are less than zero helpful. For your info, for the amount of tv I watch and the programs I watch it's been doing fine. My neighbour has a newer one. The only difference I see is the fancier guide graphics. Why get something for the sake of having something new. One of my questions was could the receiver go bad and stop processing the signal. The main menu still works. Intstall/pont dish menu still functions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No signal update

I borrowed my neighbours sat finder. Strong signal on the meter. Still zip on the receiver. Would a wrong sat measure strong on the meter and zero on the box.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Does the sat finder not tell you what satellite it is seeing?

If you are pointed at the wrong sat then in sat setup menu you should see strong signal with the wrong sat listed. You would of course get zero guide and programs.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
If I have a 1998 Computer that fails to run, doesn't mean I should fix it and
keep it running.
Yes a receiver can go bad and fail to process the signal.
Most common would be a lack of it providing DC power to power the LNB at the antenna. Electronics do fail. Can they be repaired? Maybe, depends on the problem and your knowledge and skill set. Just guessing based on your question that ur not gonna have the skills to repair it
(eg if you have to ask...) Thus I suggested scrapping it..
A quick check would be to put a digital multi-meter on the LNB Input of the receiver.
If no DC Voltage is measured there, then it is broken and needs to be repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The receiver does not fail to run. Just not picking up a signal. I checked the cables for continuity and the voltage at the lnb end. All good. I hooked up a sat finder (neighbours) got a strong signal. Checked receiver - 95 to 100 signal on all transponders on 91. Removed the sat finder and locked down the dish. Plugged receiver back in and now 91 signal reads zero, but 82 shows 97% on three transponders.

FrankyM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update

I did a 'check switch' for the third time. This time it must have reset the internal switches in the dual lnb. 98% to 100% on both birds. Frustration level from 100% to 0%.

·
Registered
3 Posts
82 LNB hitting 91

I have a bell 6131 receiver and a 20 inch bell dish with 2 LNB.s

I tried aligning with no Sw21 and ran a direct cable from receiver to the Left LNB if I’m looking at the dish from the front. I get a great 91 signal ....and when I connected the sw21 ...I lost my 91 signal.....so I removed the sw21 switch and went back direct to the left LNB.....

If I cover the right LNB with my hand I lose the 91 signal....

I believe this means I have the right LNB (82) hitting the 91 signal.

Is this correct? I have my elevation set correct and I believe the skew is set properly.....

Is the Left LNB the 91 and the right LNB the 82 signal?...if I am looking at front of dish...

If that is my problem.....do I just need to move the dish either left or right about 9 degrees

And that should get both 91 and 82 locked in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you standing behind the dish and looking towards where the dish is looking then on the right is the 82 and on the left is the 91 lnbs. Make sure the mast is vertical and the skew is set correctly for the area you are at, for around toronto the skew to be ~95-100 degrees, going east towards quebec the skew would increase and west - decrease, in BC the skew would go to ~70degrees. Elevation in toronto area will be ~39-40 and as you go north it will decrease 1degree per 50km approx. Also dont forget to run a checkswitch to see what you get when sw21 is in play. There is even a table of all skew and elevation angles out there for different locations but cant find it now.

1281 - 1300 of 1319 Posts