Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1261 - 1280 of 1319 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Dumb question. Does no one make an automated alignment mount for satellite dishes that can be operated remotely? My dish seems to go out of alignment about every two years and I'm fed up with having to call Bell to get it reset. Many years ago I had my antenna on a remote control motorised rotator which I could adjust from within the house. Surely that technology is still around today in even better form? If so how come I never hear about it?
They make them for boats if you have a spare $3500 laying around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
100% on 91 and ZERO on 82 - is this possible?

Had our roof redone a few weeks ago. They re-secured the dish back on the roof as it was before. My signal strength was 90% plus before roof job and around 75% after. Decided to try to up my signal strength and got Sat92 to 99%, BUT, I get zero on 82.

Is this possible? I thought if I had decent signal on 91 I should at least have some signal on 82.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
My guess is that you are hitting the 91 bird with the 82 side of the LNBF. So I would suggest covering the 82 side of the LNBF with Aluminum Foil.

Then start from the beginning.

Ensure Mast is 100% Vertical.

Set Skew based on your location, once set, this should not need adjusting again.

Then peak signal levels on the 91 bird, using only the 91 side of the LNBF.

Once peaked, remove the foil, run a check switch and watch TV.

Run a Check switch on all other receivers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where is the best place to get accurate Skew, Azimuth, and elevation numbers for the BEV satellite for Kingston, Ontario? Kusat dot com says Skew=97.8, Azimuth=193.97 Elevation=37.89 yet the Bell ExpressVu manual says Azimuth=213 Elevation=37 (no mention of Skew).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Elevation. I do not see a "RED MARK" on my elevation setting. Do I just use the EDGE of the the metal that swings inside behind all the markings?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So after many hours in the sun and humidity here are my experiences/thoughts with having to re-align my BEV satellite:

- check your mast for 90 degree vertical on ALL sides of the pipe - do this before anything else
- do not reply on an iphone/android to provide compass settings - they get messed very easily. Use a decent compass. The iphone/andriod do however provide decent 'Level' settings (I checked it on my pool table)
- do not rely on the azimuth, skew, and elevation markings on your dish. They are a close guess at best. Get them close and then tweak as necessary
- VERY SMALL MOVEMENTS and PATIENCE are your friend. Make a very tiny adjust upwards, sideways, etc, hold and WAIT. It takes a few seconds before the point-dish-signal thing on the TV responds

Anyway. Thanks for all the help. I really wish there was a FAQ/Guide for doing this instead of an 85+ page forum post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't find Nimiq 91

Good day, I easily found Echo 110W (signal strength 100) but for the life of me can't find Nimiq 91. I am just north of Mississauga (outside of Toronto). Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Cover the 82 side of the LNBF with foil and try again, having already ensured that the Mast is 100% vertical and your Skew is set for your location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stuck on satelite 119

Trying to get a signal on bell HD dish and all I can get to come in is satelite 119 and always at 100 percent !! Super frustrating !! Anyone from Ontario with any tips on directions to have dish in

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Trying to get a signal on bell HD dish and all I can get to come in is satelite 119 and always at 100 percent !! Super frustrating !! Anyone from Ontario with any tips on directions to have dish in
more east and up higher.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't find Anik 82 - tried everything , I'm baffled

Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out here . I've installed 5 or 6 satellites in the past so I'm not entirely a newbie..

Basically what I've done here is take a bell 20" dual lnb satellite from Regina SK to a town 140km south (about 35km from the US border) this unit was working fine in Regina also.

So I put it up on the pole which previously had an 18" bell dish there they worked on low definition 3100 receiver.

So anyways I put it up, hook up the 2 6131 receivers I had before and I turned it in to 100% signal strength on bell 91.... But I have 0 on bell 82 and have after hours never had it go anywhere but 0.

I originally got to 100% signal using only the 91 lnb direct hooked tonth receiver. Then I tried hooking up the 82 lnb to make sure I had a signal on it and I don't.. the 91 satellite picks up around 42-45 elevation if I remember correctly had the 82 skew at 76.7 I believe it was . I also moved it from about 40-90 with no success..

Anyways I've switched out the 2 sw21 switches I have, switched out the lnbs, switched out the 3 foot cables going from the lnbs to the switches.

I have no idea what else I can try here.

Is it possible that it's showing 100% signal on 91 but I'm actually picking up 82 Anik(can it actually give an incorrect satellite reading like that?) Like I said I turned it with only the 91 lnb hooked up though so I know it's not reading off the wrong lnb.

I was thinking of buying one of those newer DP satellites with the double lnb with the switch alreadt inside hoping this would solve my issues but thought I would ask here first to see if anyone else know why I would never find signal on 82 .. not even 1% , I just don't get it.

Derek

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks,

i did read those and unfortunately i have looked at all of that already..

one thing that is odd.. every signal pointing site i go on says my elevation should be around 29.7-30.4 for this area.. i could only find 91 when i had elevation around 40-45 (same as the previous 18" dish that was mounted to the same pole in the same spot)

49.396 LAT 105.1349 LONG Skew 76.9 Elevation 29.7 i keep getting.. but like i said i cant pick up 91 at 29.7 it shows up at 100% at around 41-45 elevation (same as the low def 18" dish)

I could use the 18" dish as the primary i suppose for the 91 satellite then piss around and try and find 82 with the 20" dish as there is 2 mounting spots on this metal post but i should be able to do this with a regular 20" dish like i have several times before.

i thought it may be the rg59 cable going into the house too so i took a tv and receiver outside and hooked it to the rg6 smaller cables from the lnb and it was the same.. 100% on 91 and 0% on 82.. try a check switch and it says it has fewer satellites than it did before.. Weird part is i actually get like 3-4 HD channels 1411 and 1506 or something (ctv and some racing network) even though it says 0 on 82

1261 - 1280 of 1319 Posts