Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1313 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Okay, this thread really caught my eye.

I already have a FTA Dish/LNB (w/dual feed) installed and I am planning to buy a 6120 receiver, but I do not want to use BEV's dual LNBs, since I still want to be able to move my dish with the FTA dish positioner.

The main purpose of me buying the 6120 is just to receive the HD channels. So, my question is, will I be able to setup the 6120 just using 1 LNB? I hope the downloaded software does not force me to use a dual LNB system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
f13dfx said:
The main purpose of me buying the 6120 is just to receive the HD channels. So, my question is, will I be able to setup the 6120 just using 1 LNB? I hope the downloaded software does not force me to use a dual LNB system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
I don't think they would do that. If the "Check Switch" routine cannot establish contact with the second (or first) LNB, the receiver just doesn't use the missing sat anymore.
Anyway, you will be much better off to run a second cable to the 6120 and keep it separate from your FTA stuff.

·
Banned
841 Posts
I think you might have other issues also. Since the HD channels are on 82, would you even get any guide info since I believe it is sent from 91?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Diamond said:
I think you might have other issues also. Since the HD channels are on 82, would you even get any guide info since I believe it is sent from 91?
There is a separate guide info on 82 :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Arthur Dent said:
Anyway, you will be much better off to run a second cable to the 6120 and keep it separate from your FTA stuff.
Yep, I plan on using the other feed from my LNB to run a second cable directly to the 6120. You never know what voltages are being sent by the FTA positioner :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
82 on wrong satellite

Hi,
I've been trying to get my 82 connected and have had no luck. I disconnected my 82 and hooked up only the 91. ( it's the left LNB on the Y if you are facing the LNB with your back to the dish ) . I can get signal on the 91 and peaked it. I then hook up the 82 and check the 82 on transponder 11 and it says "wrong satellite 91".
If I move the dish more to the left ( when my back is facing the dish ) the 91 says "wrong satellite 82". This makes me believe that maybe I have the 91 and 82 in the wrong place on the Y adapter. Can anyone confirm the correct position of the 82 & 91 ?

Thanks In Advance
Jason

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When facing the dish looking at the lnbs 91 is on the right. You did not mix the leads coming off the lnbs?

·
Registered
988 Posts
When you are searching for each satellite don't hook up the switch until the final step. In other words run a cable from 91 LNB first directly to the receiver and find 91. Then disconnect the cable at the recevier and run a second cable direct from the 82 LNB to the receiver and try to find 82 that way (ie - do not have it go through the switch).

Funny thing with 9200 hardware is that if you are already running through the switch and not getting any signal from 82 but 91 is aligned, rather than say "no signal" (ie for 82) the recevier tells you in red that you are locked on "wrong sat 91" and gives you the signal strength for 91. So... best bet is to just diconnect the switch and try each LNB separately and not to connect the switch until you are absolutely certain you have aligned for both 91 and 82 first. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ya , I did try running a check switch and nothing for the 82.

Battscrew , what do you mean by "mix the leads coming off the lnbs" ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
MrGrinch said:
When you are searching for each satellite don't hook up the switch until the final step. In other words run a cable from 91 LNB first directly to the receiver and find 91. Then disconnect the cable at the recevier and run a second cable direct from the 82 LNB to the receiver and try to find 82 that way (ie - do not have it go through the switch).

Funny thing with 9200 hardware is that if you are already running through the switch and not getting any signal from 82 but 91 is aligned, rather than say "no signal" (ie for 82) the recevier tells you in red that you are locked on "wrong sat 91" and gives you the signal strength for 91. So... best bet is to just diconnect the switch and try each LNB separately and not to connect the switch until you are absolutely certain you have aligned for both 91 and 82 first. Good luck.
How come I can't hook the switch up while I'm setting it up ?

·
Registered
988 Posts
cjob68 said:
How come I can't hook the switch up while I'm setting it up ?
I didn't say it "can't" be hooked up... but it's not necessary to be hooked up when finding / aligning to sats so why do it? In order to diagnose why you can't get a signal from 82 you want remove as many factors as possible. Are you absolutely certain it's an alignment problem and not a problem somewhere else? By removing the switch from the equation will eliminate things like:

- problem with the switch
- bad F-connectors at the switch
- faulty power converter to the switch
- error made in wiring to/from the switch

For what it's worth simplest way is to hook each LNB up separately one at a time to find both sats and then hook the switch up at the very end and perform the check switch as the final step. Anyhow... that's just my 2 cents... others may disagree.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same problem last night trying to hook up my new 9200, I solved the problem by running checkswitch, during checkswitch it found 82.

82 signal is weak, best i could do is 68%

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had this all working before until I cancelled the HD for the summer and moved my dish to build a deck. Now I gotta hook it up again. The 91 comes in fine and I can find that no problem.

To find/check the 82 on the receiver , do I need to check it with my 6100 receiver or can I use my 3100 ?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
24 Posts
sigh i had this problem to got my 9200 (w00h00) only to find out after a hour with bell tech support that my sw 44 switch is bad

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can someone just give me a step by step of how they installed their system that includes a SW44 switch ?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You have 2 cables coming off each lnb - when looking directly at the dish (you can read the Bell logo) label the 2 cables from the right lnb -91. Lable the 2 from the lnb on the left 82

I connected 91 sat direct to my receiver (3100) pressed menu 6-1-1 set it to 91 Sat transponder 11 - lock it in. Connect 82 sat to your receiver set it to 82 transponder 12. hopefully only a slight adjustment if any is needed.

Connect 91 again check for transponder 11.

connect 91 cables to sw44 1a & 1b connect 82 cables to 2a&2b - don't forget power inserter - run check switch on your receivers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi,
I removed the 82LNB , connected the 91 LNB and got a great signal just connecting to the 3100 for 91 on transponder 11. I then covered the 91 with tin foil and connected the 82 ...nothing. I checked the 82 on the bell 3100 and nothing on any of the transponders. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. I think I will try using the same cable as I used to test the 91 for testing the 82 just in case. I also will try testing the 91 LNB in the 82 LNB position just to see if that works. Any other suggestions. I might have to call Bell on this on .
Any other Winnipeg users , what skew and elevation did you use ? Did it differ that much from the book ?

Thanks In Advance
Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey Jason...by all means im as green as it comes to the 6100, ive had the same problems as you, ive even cut down a tree to see if that would help but no success. i had the dish at the side of my house and could get 91 just about perfect but....NO 82 :( no matter what i tried and it was 4 days of almost solid trying. so we moved the dish to the other corner of the house and we got 82 to come in at 68 or so percent BUT 91 now only has just under 50% no matter what we have tried even the bell installer couldnt help us, the thing just cant find a strong 91 now. now im about to add a second dish to the side of my house just for the 91, seems thats the only solution i have at this time. as far as elevation and skew goes i followed the book but lead me no where, so we got the walkie talkies fired up and went with that method. i wish i could give you more advice but im in the same boat.

sb

·
Registered
384 Posts
"...even cut down a tree to see if that would help but no success."

Waste of a tree. Given that you're aimed in roughly the right direction (91 is okay), you should have used the Amazing Magnet-Mirror Trick to check the tree before cutting.

21 - 40 of 1313 Posts