Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We both had our Amazon accounts before we knew each other, and we use them regularly. The wife has Amazon Prime for shopping and for the streaming. I own a few Amazon gadgets and e-books myself so hence my own account. I know it makes sense to use only one account for everything but what do the people do who have individual accounts who are now a family and live together?

I know people in the USA can have an amazon household but I do not think we have that in Canada right now. We struggle with juggling between two accounts, is everyone else dealing with this and have a solution? Someone told me to just stop using mine and sign in on hers on all my devices that works but I wont have accsss to my photos and downloaded books and such, any better ideas? can we transfer eBooks from my account to hers?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure if you noticed this but I find that when you use any amazon apps on your mobile and sign in for the first time, Amazon automatically signs you in to the same amazon account on all the other Amazon apps on that device. So when I sign into the Amazon Prime Video app with my wife's account, it signs into the Amazon Alexa app and the amazon kindle app. I want to use the amazon alexa and kindle app under my account not hers since I have my own library of e-books there yes i know i have to sign out and re-sign in but it does become a pain in the pita after a while.

If one of the apps gets logged out I would have to sign in again and do the whole amazon TFA authentication on her device, and what if shes not here shes working, you probably have not experienced these scenarios eljay but they are legit probems of amazon uses who have different accounts in the same household that can be solved if amazon just made a household account and anyone can sign in and share the services together.

·
Premium Member
9,454 Posts
... you probably have not experienced these scenarios eljay but they are legit probems of amazon uses who have different accounts in the same household that can be solved if amazon just made a household account and anyone can sign in and share the services together.
It's true that I haven't experienced the scenarios you mentioned and I don't disagree that a household account could be useful. (y) I was just responding to the question:
... what do the people do who have individual accounts who are now a family and live together? ...

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh well, looks like no solution at this time with amazon. Microsoft actually has a family account, I guess typical "wait and see what happens"

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I just read that in a browser mobile or desktop you can switch accounts without signing in or out. But I cannot try it as I just have a Canadian and a USA account(for my US travels), not 2 of Canadian.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Canadian accounts are valid on the US site so (geo-blocked services aside) it is not necessary to have separate accounts. Family members can be accommodated on a single account by simply entering multiple payment methods and shipping addresses that can be the same apart from the name. That doesn't address privacy or trust issues though.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Creating one account for your family is a Good idea however We created our individual accounts before we knew each other and got married and became a family. There are lots of people who this happens to. We also have a lot of our digital purchases (books, etc) tied to our individual accounts so shutting it down and using our spouses account is not a great option, there's no way to move content between accounts from what I have been told.

So it looks like this is an issue with no solution at the moment, even Amazon could not give me a solution. I will just let it be for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts