Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows MCE TV channel guide only download the analogue channels, then map them to digital channels. In Toronto, PBS digital has 3 channels: 17-1, 17-2, 17-3. MCE only download the analogue channel 17, which is exactly the same in digital 17-2. But I don't know how to get the TV guide for 17-1 and 17-3. Any idea?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I don't think it exists.
I've only ever seen schedules for all 3 channels on WNED.org
Any tv scheduling site/company only lists WNED (17-2)
Hopefully after the 17th they will update as they will be editing their databases a great deal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can't get 17-3 unless you register MCE in a US zipcode. However, if you want Canadian listings, you can tell MCE to use Rogers 'Digital' cable (without a cable box of course) and it will make a available all the Buffalo HD channel listings. When you do this, there are 2 PBS channels to choose from. Just map the channels and you're good to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeneral, I tried that trick. But after I select "Cable" option, MCE scans the component and S-Video input of my TV card but doesn't find any signal so it can't let me proceed to choose cable provider. How do you bypass this? Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a related question - I'm using digital OTA (ATSC) only and I've set up Vista Media Center with a US-based zip code and set up my channels manually with the callsigns to see the program guide info.

However, there are a few channels that do not seem to have guide data. A prime example is CITY. I tried using "CITY" and "CITY-DT" as the callsign, but Media Center just doesn't have any guide info for it. The callsign both on this forum and on zap2it.com is CITY as well, so I'm at a loss for why it's not working. Similar problem for Sun TV (CKXT-DT) and one other one I can't really recall now (might have been Crossroads Hamilton - CITS-DT).

Anyone know how to modify the callsigns to get the guide info for these channels to come in? Or perhaps you have CITY and Sun TV already working and you wouldn't mind looking up what you entered as callsigns for me? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tczernec, solution for you is simple: if you are in GTA like me, use 14107 as the zip code. It has all GTA channels together with Buffalo channels.

·
Registered
342 Posts
jeneral, I tried that trick. But after I select "Cable" option, MCE scans the component and S-Video input of my TV card but doesn't find any signal so it can't let me proceed to choose cable provider. How do you bypass this? Thanks.
When I selected digital cable, it asked me if I had a digital box. I said no and it 'assumed' my analog NTSC input was digital cable. The only downsides to this setup is: I have to deselect all the channels I'm not using and from time to time I get new Rogers Digital channels added to my guide (I usually edit those out too).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts