Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my 3-year plan ends next March, I'd like to know if I can get a better plan while switching to HSPA.
Anyone can tell me the number of retention department?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
when you call, tell them your looking to leave telus unless they can sweeten the deal.... you will be transfered to retentions.

Mine is up in Aug 2011. I just called and said at the 1year mark ill see a 250$ off, offer on a iphone4(full price purchase 3 year renewal) or a 200$ off, offer on a smart phone(full price, 3year renewal). They later on told me that once i get within 6 months of my 3 year maturity that i can get 3year pricing on any new phone with a 3 year renewal.. So if what they told me holds true you maybe in a better position to talk after october.

I want a new smart phone now. but the struggle i have is loosing my 15$ unlimited data plan... If i could find a good unlocked CDMA phone i would be set. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
There may be another way. Last week I email Telus and asked 'how much would it cost to buy out my contract and how do I pay this?' (I have 13 months remaining) I also asked 'Could I could continue service with Telus until I made other arrangements?'

Next day I received a call from a concerned Telus sales representative. (Got their attention) I told him that I wanted to end the contract but continue service with Telus until I made other arrangements. I also told him that my current phone (Razor V9m) no longer suited my needs and that the dying battery gives me about 15min talk time before I have to recharge.

He offered; That I could end my contract for $5.00 per month if I signed a new contract. Also I could keep my existing plan40 along with a data plan. I currently have unlimited incoming calls, 375min, caller ID, free weekends and evenings on my plan40.

So... I saved $195 for cancellation plus $80 for a new battery for the Razor. Now I can get the i phone 4 with a 3 yr contract. It was $65 to cancel my contract early btw.

·
Registered
748 Posts
What - you paid Telus extra to let you sign a further 3-year commitment early? In other words you were paying out more to get the subsidised phone.

One of the nice things about the switch to HSPA+ is that we are no longer beholden to our carriers. If a phone is dying (yes, I know replacing a battery can cost almost as much as the phone) we can just buy another and pop in a SIM card. Still it should be a warning sign when the phone doesn't last as long as the contract.

Yes you got to keep your current voice plan but that isn't unusual, from what I've read but you will be paying more to add a data plan so Telus is very happy to see you pay to upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Up-date; I was not charged a phone exchange fee when I picked up my new I-phone 4 yesterday.(usually $25) Signed a 3yr plan. Retained my plan40. Qualified for the free 5g data. Chose fav5 option. $65month plan. This plan worked best for me.

In a nut shell; I gained a few perks. I wished I could have done a better deal, maybe saved the $65 cancellation fee.

On another note; After all the list I put myself on in order to wait to be called when an I-phone trickled into a Telus store, all it took was a box of donuts and my charming personality to get the next phone that arrived. Who knew it was that easy. Sugar is so addictive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mark-John, I have 12 months left in my contract with Telus and I did the same as you but Telus Retentions agents have been very uninterested in keeping me as a customer. To stay with Telus and buy two new iphones, they said I would have to pay $10/month penalty.

Looks like I might be heading to Bell. As of now, it will cost me more to break my contract and stay with Telus. Bell is motivated to cover the cost of my ECF and also give me a 'retentions' type good deal on a data monthly plan for 3 yr commitment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts