Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my current install, the cable just reaches to my receiver. However, I want to move the receiver slightly, and noticed that when I had my new floor put in, that the floor installers pinched the coax between my load-bearing wall and the subfloor. So I can't pull any more coax through although I have like 10+' of spare cable downstairs :(

What are my options? Can I just get something to join two sections of cable and that won't degrade the quality? Or do I need some sort of switch? I know the best solution would be to have one contiguous length of cable, but that entails removing the current one, and getting a new hole,etc. It's a bit more work than I want to do right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
551 Posts
FYI - one of our lines was connected with a barrel connector. We had absolutely no trouble with it when we used the 505 or older receivers. But we had nothing but trouble once we got a 530, which was connected to that line and we got to #3 before anyone thought of actually getting someone to come out and look at our lines. This connection with the barrel connector was actually done by the installer, so we didn't really know that it was there as the connection was in the underneath crawlspace. Anyway, it helped once the line with the barrel connector was changed for a single line.

·
Registered
647 Posts
In theory, they shouldn't be that finicky.
A 1/2 db is nothing by itself.

What about all the barrel connections used when the line is terminated into a nice wall plate?

Gobe are the days when a cable tv signal was direct tot he TV via a while on the living room floor from the basement.

People demand nice clean install and should have them.

Add the coupler and a chunk of cable and see.
Hope the pinch is minor and it didn't short out internally, in which case you will get little to no signal through.
In that case, cut it off downstairs, add a connector, a coupler and lay a new piece to the set.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
As long as it's a good quality, uncorroded barrel connector, there should be no problem. I've seen these in bulk bins for $0.50 so there is no reason not to use a new one. The same goes for the extension cable. Make sure it's RG6 with good compression connectors on each end. I've seen a lot of poor quality "RF" cables, for sale and otherwise, that cause ridiculous amounts of signal loss. OTOH, you might be able to "adjust" the flooring to get extra cable up. Laminate floors are often just floating and will shift with a little sideways pressure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
X2 on the "good quality compression connectors". I've been using those and some of my lines have 2 barrel splices (coming from my motorized FTA dish). I have even buried some splices in my back yard, however they are wrapped with rubber splicing tape and electrical tape. No issues at all, you won't even notice the change in signal. But, one crappy coax connector or length of RG59 instead of RG6 and you might be in trouble.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the splice connectors are usually color coded for the frequency of the signal on the cable. white is your typical cable tv / antenna signal splice and it's good up to 1ghz. that's about where your satellite signal is starting and doesn't get too much above there so it will probably be fine. splices with a blue plastic interior are good up to 2ghz and are recommended for satellite cabling, especially if you have a stacked lnb on your dish. splices with a red plastic insert are good up to 3 ghz which are best if you have very long cable runs. i've seen lot's of cheap splices out there though, a common problem is the plastic insert breaking loose and causing a bad connection or short.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts