Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Canadian regulators tend to take a more conservative approach. That can be seen on the 5GHz wifi band where a number of frequencies that are allowed in the US are either not available or are more restricted in Canada.

As far as aviation altimeters are concerned, it turns out that some airlines had poorly designed altimeters that were susceptible to interference from mobile frequencies. The airlines were directed to fix or replace those devices and the wireless carriers were directed to delay using the affected frequencies until the issue was addressed by the airlines.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are certainly more conservative with C band 5G. The frequencies currently available in Canada are a bit lower than in the U.S., though that will change in the not too distant future. Canada also has a wider protected spectrum than anywhere else in the world, to the point it includes the lower C band frequencies that have already been allocated. The nearest Rogers site to my north is within the restricted area, though not the one to the south.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unlike the FCC and the vast majority of OECD countries Canada does not have an arms-length regulator with transparent processes, due process and reasoned decisions. In Canada we have a political minister, opague processes, tainted processes and decisions based on political considerations.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Canadian regulators tend to take a more conservative approach. That can be seen on the 5GHz wifi band where a number of frequencies that are allowed in the US are either not available or are more restricted in Canada.
One thing to bear in mind is that while similar, spectrum allocations in Canada are not identical to the U.S. So the factors that affect the decisions might be different.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
One thing I noticed is that the Canadian military is very focused on spectrum use by the public. They even went so far as to hunt down owners of FTA satellite receivers used for piracy even though their was little evidence that they caused the alleged interference with military equipment. I suspect that a some of the frequencies restricted in Canada is due to military lobbying. It's well known that much of the 5GHz wifi band is restricted due to use by aviation radar.

Unlike the FCC and the vast majority of OECD countries Canada does not have an arms-length regulator with transparent processes, due process and reasoned decisions.
If you don't think the FCC is politically motivated then I suggest you take another look. FCC chairs are politically appointed and are often chosen due to their positions on broadcasting and other FCC governance issues. For example, Ajit Pai was chosen due to his pro-industry stance and his willingness to abolish net neutrality. FCC chairs are often replaced by incoming presidents in order to fulfill personal agendas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One thing I noticed is that the Canadian military is very focused on spectrum use by the public. They even went so far as to hunt down owners of FTA satellite receivers used for piracy even though their was little evidence that they caused the alleged interference with military equipment. I suspect that a some of the frequencies restricted in Canada is due to military lobbying. It's well known that much of the 5GHz wifi band is restricted due to use by aviation radar.

If you don't think the FCC is politically motivated then I suggest you take another look. FCC chairs are politically appointed and are often chosen due to their positions on broadcasting and other FCC governance issues. For example, Ajit Pai was chosen due to his pro-industry stance and his willingness to abolish net neutrality. FCC chairs are often replaced by incoming presidents in order to fulfill personal agendas.
I have a more than passing familiarity with the composition of the FCC. Your point is quite valid. The FCC is far from perfect and is not the example I would hope Canada would implement. There are many other examples that are superior in other administrations. That being said when it comes to due process, transparency and procedural fairness the FCC is miles ahead of ISED and its Minister.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts