Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current Vizio is getting old, looking to replace / upgrade to LG 7300 or 8600. Wife says it is very important it start fast, current Vizio is takes 15+ second to turn on / show picture. I know to some that isn't a big deal, but this is important and I can't seem to find it while googling.

Also if anyone has comments on either model, we are looking at 65 inch. I am not sure if it is worth the Nano Cell / better processor or saving 30%

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I bet it's faster than the old set. Last May, I replaced a 10 year old Sharp with a new one. The new one boots up a lot faster than the old. Why is your wife so impatient? I grew up with vacuum tube sets (not just the CRT) and they really took a long time.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Go to the store and try it yourself...
See it, feel it, touch it...
Better yet, have the wife test it.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Some TVs have a "keep warm" function, whereby some current is sent through the electronics to allow for a faster startup. These same TVs may have what's called energy saver or power saver to turn completely off and take a few seconds more to restart. This is usually in the user menus somewhere. With most people preferring the saved power, some TVs may not have this "feature" any more, or it may not be the default.

I can't imagine using the keep warm function myself which uses more power (say $10-20/year), but for the impatient among us, it may be worth it... ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,192 Posts
I've seen some smart TVs go through a boot-up process like a PC. You can actually see the steps on the screen. It has caught me off-guard when I'm visiting somewhere when I think I've turned the TV on and nothing happens for quite a while.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
They pretty much all run linux on an embedded platform, so I would expect as much.
Save for the few that might be based on android (maybe??)
Some will even have a serial debug port that you can login to if you know how, and
get a command prompt. They almost undoubtedly would be running the "busy box" shell tools.
https://busybox.net/about.html

I can remember building a new kernel for my pre "smart tv" LG a few years ago in order to add
a module for a few USB based ethernet dongles and a small web server.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
They pretty much all run linux on an embedded platform, so I would expect as much.
Save for the few that might be based on android (maybe??)
Android is based on Linux.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Just about everything that has a CPU runs Linux or a close relative of Linux. That includes most internet connected "smart" devices such as TVs, security cameras, thermostats, media players, smartphones, etc. OS/X is based on FreeBSD, a free variant of Unix which preceded Linux and whose developers developed some of the code that went into Linux and other free Unix-like operating systems. Even Windows contains FreeBSD code and Win10 now has a Linux subsystem that can be added. The internet consists of about 2/3 Linux based servers with Windows servers in second place. Unix servers such as those based on FreeBSD make up much of the rest.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Last May, I replaced a 10 year old Sharp with a new one. The new one boots up a lot faster than the old.
Some TVs have a "keep warm" function, whereby some current is sent through the electronics to allow for a faster startup.
I just checked my new Sharp Roku. Fast start is turned off. It still turns on in a very few seconds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts