Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read about my recentexperiences with my Windows Media Center HTPC, OTA recording and VideoRedo.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Good post. All of the benefits that you mention, with the exception of higher quality, are not exclusive to OTA content. You can do all of the other points with shows captured from cable or satellite STBs - you can use a Hauppauge HD-PVR as a capture device.

There are also many other benefits of having an HTPC as a PVR including:
  • Have the ability to placeshift content (without requiring hardware like a Slingbox);
  • Have the ability to combine PVR'ed shows with ripped DVDs to create a library of your favourite shows from various sources;
  • Have the ability to integrate a nicer UI and library management system, such as MyMovies, to manage your movie library;
  • Have the ability to stream you content to other PCs and/or other devies (like an iPad).

One other thing to mention is that benefit # 2 that you mention (have the ability to back up my recordings so I never lose my recordings again) is likely to become illegal in Canada when our new copyright Bill is signed into law.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love this type of post.
I love to read about project's
I'm building a similer system but I will combine
OTA Analog & Digital and FTA Satelite.

I started picking up some parts slowly.

Can you give us some info on your HTPC build? plz
CPU Ram mobo video card HD?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can do all of the other points with shows captured from cable or satellite STBs - you can use a Hauppauge HD-PVR as a capture device.
Yes I know that as I have had the device for several years. FWIW, I found the Hauppauge device a PITA. It also requires you to record the show twice.

As far as the other benefits, a cable and satellite PVR cannot be backed up with nightly backups the way a computer can.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I don't think the Hauppauge HD-PVR does record twice, at least not anymore. I have been using two of them with SageTV for about three years and (knock on wood) I have not had problems. But many people have major issues. And support in Win MC has been slow to come and has issues. Support for the device has been much better in other PVR software like BeyondTV, SageTV, MythTV and NextPVR (FKA GBPVR). Unfortunately both SageTV and BeyondTV are no longer really around.

About a year or so ago Hauppauge did release beta drivers for this device for Windows 7 Media Center - prior to that you need to use DVBLink. I have tried out the Hauppauge drivers in Win7 MC, but not used it extensively. But it seemed to work properly without any problems and only recorded the shows once. One downside is that you can only use one HD-PVR per system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts