Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How much would you pay per month for Netflix Gold?

• Same as I pay now $8

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • About $10

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • About $15

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • About $20

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • About $25

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • About $30

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • About $40

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • About $50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would you pay for Netflix if they offered the same catalog of movies as your local rental store? This poll is not for people who are not interested in any form of Netflix.

I see lots of discussion in the main Netflix thread on this topic so why not a poll. The current catalog is $8. Most comments center around the limited selection. To each their own. But if Netflix offered 2 packages. The current one and another one, I like to call Netflix Gold, that offered the same catalog of movies as your local rental store, how much do you think is reasonable to pay?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I doubt the motion picture industry would get onboard for AYCW new releases for a reasonable sum.
The iTunes + Netflix model will probably be as close as you get for the near future.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never say never. :D If they see money to be made or a a way to reduce piracy they just may step in that direction.

But let's say ice has formed in Hades.

·
Banned
434 Posts
what makes you think they would do it this way. i would assume the different prices would affect how many movies you can stream not WHICH movies you can stream. its unlimited right now cause their selection is limited cause they just launched.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its unlimited right now cause their selection is limited cause they just launched
Maybe. Or they could be targeting a different market. I really didn't want to get into a business discussion. Or why Apple is OK with Netflix, or what caused Blockbuster go go under or waht will happen to zip.ca. Nothing "makes me think they would do it this way". I am just curious to know what peoples expectation would be if they offered this. If it suggests people would pay a premium for new releases on Netflix.ca you can bet that the content owners will want a piece of that π. Or maybe people are happy with their current suppliers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd pay the going rate for the U.S. service. $17.99 a month for three DVDs (newer releases) and unlimited streaming (of a much larger catalogue). I'd pay the same price if they wanted to eliminate the DVDs and just stream newer content.

That is what my buddy has in the U.S., that we have watched extensively together for the last couple of years I have spent time down there with his family. I just IM'd him and what I listed above is what he has/pays.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would be happy to pay about $20 for a better selection, but I think that I would be willing to pay about $30 but wouldn't be happy about it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'm not trying to be flippant but my vote would be "none of the above."

What my local video store has is Blu-ray discs. I spent a fortune for my 100 inch screen, 1080p projector, speakers and A/V Receivers.

For me, its quality not quantity.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of are not loaded Hugh. ;) Or don't have easy access to a rental outlet, or like the convenience or are mobility impaired or like the spontaneity of instant viewing or a 100 other valid reasons.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I am certainly not loaded.

But in your original post you are talking about spending $20 to $50 a month for Netflix. Now that's a lot of money.

Personally, if I had $25 a month that I could spend on such a service, I would go with TMN plus PPV on cable.

TMN HD, TMN HD on Demand, TMN SD Channels and two PPV's per month would be about $25 but I would also get the HD channels. For $50 a month, I could get SuperChannel, TMN and about 4 PPV movies.

Same amount spent but, for me, I would rather have the quality.

My whole point is that once you decide to spend $15 a month, the cable companies offerings become much more compelling, especially if you value a higher quality signal (which I assume many around here do)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I like the option of choosing either - a high-def disk or a streamed movie from the Netflix catalog. If I want a full-on movie experience with a highly rated blu-ray in full surround and with the projector, I have that option available. I more often than not buy those kinds of movies so I have them in the movie library. I also like the option of having a ton of content available, at a lower bit rate, from Netflix for a low fixed cost. Those movies or shows are generally watched on a smaller screen, in stereo - but for the most part have impressive quality none the less.

I wouldn't be interested in paying more for a 'premium' service, as there aren't that many new release movies I consider a must see - paying extra for that would be wasted money for me most of the time. It's been years since I had a video store membership, but most trips I'd spent a lot of time looking over the 'current releases' and either leave without one, or with one I wasn't overly excited about.

The Netflix paradigm works pefectly for me, at the current eight dollar mark.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TMN HD, TMN HD on Demand, TMN SD Channels and two PPV's per month would be about $25 but I would also get the HD channels. For $50 a month, I could get SuperChannel, TMN and about 4 PPV movies.
I would be all over that too if I could. Last time I checked you cannot just get TMN. Is there not a basic package you must sub to, HD access fees etc. But I admit I do not know the Rogers or Bell packages.

·
Banned
24 Posts
I agree with Hugh.
The 'buffet' aspect (lots and lots of food, none necessarily tasty) of Netflix reminds me of the rush to convert to MP3 music files. Sure you can jam 10,000 songs on you iPod at a low resolution, but why? Quantity over quality? It's like listening to music on AM radio.
I just cancelled my Free Trial with Netflix. I streamed via a Wii, which is 480p, and the picture quality was mediocre. I've downloaded films that, once burned onto a DVD and upconverted, look much better. I haven't gone the Blu-ray route yet, (for a number of reasons) but having the option to rent, rather than buy, a BR movie is much more appealing.
Besides, how will Netfix ever be able to deliver a true 'Premium' service when ISP's are putting bandwidth caps on your service? Bell's current cap is 20GB. That means that you would pay Netfix for a premium service, then pay Bell for the overage bandwidth (or only watch a couple movies a month).
Better to rent from Blockbuster...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I came to this forum today after investigating Netflix for Canada. The first thing I did was browse the library for my favorites ... Dexter, Fringe, Medium, Closer ..., and was amazed that I batted zero! In response to this topic, I'd have to state that I'm reluctant to even sign up for the free month and end up with only mediocre content!

On the other hand, I'm a bit ignorant as to what Netflix offers Canada relative to the States. Can I assume than because Netflix. ca reports:
'Fringe: Season 3' is not available but you might enjoy ...
... that it is available in the States but not Canada? What are the States paying for the entire standard Netflix library?

A relevant question in this context is to ask if Netflix responds to users begging for their favorite shows, thereby defining a market model whereby the library grows with the user base? ... or, are we simply under their thumbs like so many other media services that are not Canada-inspired??

Holidays' Cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I think you should review the discussions on this on the other Netflix thread. Basically if a show has already been sold to a local Canadian Channel you're not going to find it on Netflix. Dexter is on MC/TMN, and the rest you mentioned are mostly on CTV or Global. Shows like Mad Men which is only on AMC and most of the A&E shows you will find on Netflix.

So I wouldn't be "amazed" at all. I think you have the wrong idea of what Netfix is going to offer.

When it comes to movies the situation is similar. You're not going to find a whole bunch of new releases because again the studios/distributors want to first market their product as DVDs/BDs, PPV, premium movie channels, etc first.

As far as the "grass is always greener in the US" argument, I'm actually quite convinced that Netflix is much better up here. If TV is what you're into then maybe not. They have different distribution contracts in the US for the TV shows so you'll find a lot more TV shows like the ones you listed in the US. But when it comes to movies, our Netflix seems much better. We have quite a lot that we can stream yet for them is DVD only.

Finally, when they say a certain title "is not available but you may be interested in..." it's not reference to the US site. They have many movies listed in their site, most of which don't exist in either their Canadian or US streaming services.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts