• The sky's the limit. I need the best!

Votes: 22 2.4%
  • I'm broke, you insensitive clod!

Votes: 38 4.1%
41 - 60 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks to DHC and all the helpful people in here, I am now a happy and proud OTA'er. With the weather starting to turn for the better, I may one day venture up (my roof) and complete my install. Right now I have my CM4221 peaking out in a south easterly direction from a 2nd floor window. Grabbing most Toronto channels & some Buffalo channels (got WGRZ for 1 day and WKBW is very moody) I'm sure they'll all come in when the CM4221 is up on its proper perch.

Sammy SIR TS160 $ 70 (ebay)
CM4221 + 18" wall bracket $90
10 Ft mast $ 15
DSS Install kit $ 10

-------
Total :p $185 :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
$175 for CM 4228 and Tripod
$20 for 100' of RG-6
$10 for cinder blocks to hold the tripod down
$7 for a mast
5 hours of install time.

We don't have cable, so it will pay for itself in a couple of months. Especially with HD content.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I paid about $100 for my omni-directional antenna in the attic and maybe $10 or $20 for various cables. If I can ever convince my wife to let me put the antenna on the roof (she is satisfied with our reception, but I would like to make it better), I will need to add the cost of a mounting kit. This is for analog reception.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To me it is more than just free tv, its a hobby! It is soo much fun trying to see what you can pickup on a nightly basis, following the ducting reports etc, i guess its truly a bug that some people including myself have gotten.. and i dont plan on losing!

So far..

Samsung SIR351 - $230 (new in box, warrently bought local)
CM 4221 - $65 (yaamon)
2 foot Tripod - $30
RG6 Coax - $2
Hobby to last a lifetime.. $priceless$

total: $327 CDN + a hobby that brings me hours of fun.

When first experimenting.. i spent some cash on other receivers i didnt need, but i have since sold them and recovered all the money spent.

327/12

$27.12 per month for a year.. after that free...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Can I change my vote to "Oi, vey!" ?

Well, I'm a little embarrassed to say how much I've spent. $1100 +

Seeing as it was spent over the course of the last year or so, the damage was not so hard to take.

I started out with a $300 Humax tuner and a $50 RCA antenna. This first taste of ota, in particular the HD, was enough to whet my appetite.

My set up has graduated to a proper tower install this past month. A good used tower $120, plus $150 for a professional install. I was fortunate to find a true pro with 45 years experience who still climbs.

My gear gets the DHC OTA'er seal of approval. (I think)
CM4228 ant., CM9521a rotator, RG6 with proper boots, and the whole gamut of ground wires/clamps/arrestors/rods.

A second Humax tuner for $250 feeds the tv in the family room.
Of course, there is always a couple of bucks spent on odds and ends that never make it into the system. Those won't be wasted; they'll be donated to a good friend's setup.

Was it money well spent? Yes. I enjoy using the ota gear very much.
(As we know, a fool and their money are soon parted.)

I'm not sweating the expense, however. To put it in some kind of perspective; I paid $90 U.S. per round of golf X 6 rounds this past February while at Playa Grande, Dominican Republic. Yes, it was worth every single greenback.

Like WZ1 has said in the previous post, it is a hobby and I've got the bug also.

The tower went up those several days ago when we were experiencing the very active tropospheric skip. The weather here in the GTA was damp and foggy at night and into the mornings; then warming to brilliant sunshine and unseasonally high temps for November. You can imagine my pleasure when the first channel scan picked up Rochester along with everything else.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Well, I'm a little embarrassed to say how much I've spent. $1100 +
Well, don't be. I responded to this poll when it first came out but I'm always adding stuff to the line up. I'm up to about the same $ amount as you since starting in 2005. $1100 doesn't go far these days, does it? But having a good setup is satisfying. I'm pretty sure I've spent even more on satellite hardware.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Cost of entry into the world of Digital OTA

Truth in advertising - if I was to list every dime I've spent on OTA over the years you'd know just how geeky I am about it... :D

This poll is to give people a real-world sense of the cost of entry into the world of OTA.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pretty sure I'm under $500...

CM4228 - $115
Cable, ground, connectors, mast, etc - $100
HD HomeRun - $230

That doesn't include the already built and running MythTV system and network that provides the distribution inside the house...that would put it in the thousands... :)

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Samsung SIR-T451 ~ $300 after taxes, duty, etc.
CM4221 ~ $60
Winegard AP4700 preamp ~ $65
RG6 cable, connectors, etc. ~ $30
mast for attic install (10' piece of 1" PVC conduit + clamps) ~$10

Total approx. $465

·
Registered
101 Posts
My costs

Just to put this in the right thread, I paid:

$550 for CM4228 antenna, tripod, rG6, and install
$ 75 for rental of a ladder since the installer forgot to mention he didn't have one high enough
$275 for return visit to install CM9521A rotor, proper coax grounding block

Total $900 plus taxes (they only accepted CASH otherwise).

I didn't even get a preamp for that amount...silly, silly me...:(
Oh yeah, and that was here in mid-town Toronto. V&E Antenna.
(They offered to install what they called a "better" CM4248 for $50 more..)
Please don't tell my wife ;)

Mik

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Mik, after reading the posts you made about the whole installation ordeal you went through I wish that there was a way to go back in time and have another installer do it for you. Too bad you had to go through all that. Too bad they had obviously never been to the DHC OTA forum to get the facts!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Go back in time

I wish I could go back in time...partly I wanted to get it UP already because I was worried it would start snowing, and then I'd miss 24 in High Def..
I was THIS close to calling the whole thing off...but when you consider that they were the only outfit (except Yaamon) calling me back so quickly...well...
I have learned a good lesson. I am swallowing my pride and just moving forward.

Now I need to get a preamp...
Mik:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the CM4221 installed on my roof with 1 cable drop to my TV on the main floor of my 2 story house for $330. It would have been cheaper if I would have waited for the 3' $30 tripod but I didn't want to wait and paid $80+$20 for the heavy duty tripod and 10' mast.

I guess I could have gone up on the roof to do it myself risking life and limb but the installer earned every penny as it was quite cold, dark and he had to take 2 trips home to troubleshoot a problem.

I figure $330 is very reasonable considering I already had a built-in tuner on my TV.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Absolutely worth every penny.
An friend from the old neighbourhood was helping his next door neighbour do something with the eavestrough. He slipped from the porch railing, fell only 6 or 7 feet, landed awkwardly and shattered his heel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Timbo.... I would strongly agree if someone is not comfortable on the roof let a pro do it!

The probelm I would think for many is finding a good installer... I know that a fellow DHC did a couple of install's for friends of mine who are not comfortable with going on the roof and were quite happy with the price and the outcome.

For me..... $230.00 DIY For me the easiest part was the chimmeny mount. Running the cable was the pain!

My setup for the ANTENA part only

CM4221
Chimmeny brackets
5' pole
500' spool of RG6 (most was used for internal wiring)
Various connectors and a Cable cutting tool.
Winegaard Pre-Amp

Well worth it!

Good luck to everyone who decides to go OTA.... but be careful if you are not completely comfortable on the roof... get a pro who comes with references I am sure there are DHC'ers who can refer quality people to do the install for a fair price.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have redone my setup, which not including the previous setup/parts, is worth:

CM4228 - $129.95
3' tripod - $39.95
1.5" 10' mast - $22.95
CM9521a - $120.00
100' rotator wire - $18.00

$330.85 + tx = $377.17 total

I could have saved a lot of money if I knew about another dealer in the area (where I got the rotator) first who sells the 4228 for only $85. He was also $40 cheaper on the rotator. I didn't inquire about the mast and tripod, but I am sure this guy is much cheaper there as well. Live and learn!

My previous stationary Wade 1483 setup was much simpler (see page 3) and only cost $156.40. While this was a lot of added cost with the only real gain being 5-1 out of Toronto, it does add more versatility to the setup and allow pinpointing of channels as required. Looking back, I probably should have left it alone, but this is an addictive hobby constantly trying to get more out of your system! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Paid $20 to build my own, or 29.99 to buy an antenna--all the channels

I did my research, but instead of paying 120 for a CM4228 + 150 for installation, I did something to get all the channels available for less than $30. So I didn't have to pay much, and got excellent results. I didn't expect this problem to be solved so cheaply, and no one was more surprised than I was.

Hasan

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hi Hasan, I always enjoy seeing the creative ways people join the OTA world! :)

I'm just adding that there are some important things that worked in your favour that other people will most likely have trouble with:
  1. the Brampton/Oakville/Mississauga area is directly in the signal path of the Buffalo stations, so people in your area tend to get the best U.S. reception of all Southern Ontario locations
  2. if your cheap antenna from China lasts for a long time and continues to do a good job I will be delighted for you, but I cannot recommend such gear when there are well known, proven products out there that always work when setup correctly

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

Stampeder is right regarding the investment in quality over the long term.

However, those (like Hasan) who have perused this thread and similar ones elsewhere have read tales of woe regarding dismal return on significant financial investments which could not overcome distance/line of site,and other location related issues.

Hasan tested his location inexpensively and was rewarded. Since he had done his dudiligence he probably would not have invested much more money.

Fortuneately if he discides that OTA is the way he wants to go long term, taking Stamperder's advice and investing in higher quality components, he can do so with the confidence that it is money well spent.

Peter M.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in Richmond BC, here's my costs:

Two Panasonic ATSC Tuners from Ebay: $50
CM4228 Antenna from Solid Signal: $95
Antenna Rotator: nearly free
35' Flagpole for mast: free
Mast mount brackets & RG-6 Coax from the Shack: $30

Total: $175

HD on the cheap! :)