• I'm broke, you insensitive clod!

Votes: 38 4.1%
21 - 40 of 277 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
hugh said:
...and a fairly large and unattractive antenna on my house!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :D

BTW I'll shortly be merging this thread with the "How Much Did/Would You Pay For OTA" thread where that poll is.

·
Registered
373 Posts
OTA is not quite free but almost !!

Dark_Breaka, Don't take this personally ok, but....

Your basic cable without hd probably cost you $60/motn add hd and that's $10/month ? Plus you need a upgraded receiver maybe $150 upfront ? So, about $1000 the first year then, $840 per year after that. Don't forget to add price increases also.
OTA upfront cost of $450 is what you invested. Let's just say you keep cable for 4 years then your cost is $2896 incl taxes or, $60/month plus increases. OTA cost over same period is about $9/month. But, gets cheaper every year. Is your cable guaranteed to lower each year ?
Sorry I'm wrong OTA is free. Looking at it another way after about 5 months or so. Your gear is free, compared to those who continue with cable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
probak118 said:
Dark_Breaka, Don't take this personally ok, but....
Heh....well this is the thing. I work for Best Buy and basically Rogers doesn't check if I'm still employed at Best Buy (don't know why.), so i'm basically entitled to this for whoever knows how long:

8300HD Receiver 13.50/month
Digital Cable with all Channels (including all mpix + mchannels, all hd incl. West Coast, all specialty channels, etc.) 30.00/month

Total: 43.50+Tax
1 Year: 522.00+Tax

LOL...i guess OTA is cheaper....but it's just harder to compare to Rogers since you get more than 16HD channels.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
probak118, do you have a point?

Instead of dumping on people who make an interesting, just read it and move on.

He never said it was free, just not cheap.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Did not try to flame another member(s) comments.

I was onlly going back to Dark_Breaka's comment of what his gear(OTA) was costing him. He compared it to the cost of his education. I just had a little fun on my wording it. As you saw , I said don't take it personally at the start just to keep it in perspective.

"That's half a thousand dollars, or the equivalent of one course"

I was also only going back to Stampeder's comment of his feeling's on OTA being "free". When I mentioned that it is free. Never, did I say that Dark_ Breaka argued that point.

But to keep the peace here. I'm sorry for offending obviously someone. I will try to keep serious for now on ( Better tie my two typing finger up ) LOL

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Dark_Breaka said:
Should've stuck to cable...lol.
An HD DVR rental would cost an extra $15 to $20/month.

Many of us have spent a lot more than $450 and do not have recording capabilities. You did well and have a nice set-up.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
When i bought my HDTV last spring, i bought an antenna, pipe, hardware, cable etc., I was planning on getting my HD only over-the air - Free.
Then i bought another antenna. I'm up to about $400. and installed it all myself. I already had an expressvu PVR for SD. I thought that would do it.
But, I couldn't record it and my wife doesn't get the changing inputs for OTA. I read about the HDPVR on here, so sure enough, i run out and buy the 9200. plus pay BEV another $10.00 per month.
I'm really impressed with HD, so then i needed a Digital surround reciever.
Bought the poineer 1015tx, and a couple more speakers - $775.
Then i had to run speaker wires, hang the surrounds and rears from walls and ceiling. And i'm not done yet!! It grows!! Has a life of its own. Can't wait for an HD-DVD of some sort.

I've been working in the broadcast business for 23 years; don't ever get the idea that TV is there for your entertainment or as a public service. TV is there for people to take your money and spread propaganda.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Specific costs to OTA setup include:

$65 for Wade 1483 4bay antenna
$18x2 for 2x10' masts
$10x2 for 2x10' electrical conduit fabbed up for lateral support
$15 for 75' RG6 outdoor cable

My location makes this a simple but effective setup:cool:

If you want to include the Home Theatre that is a different story (about another $5000) - but that is there whether you get OTA or Sat/Cable so its somewhat irrelevant.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Appears like some of you guys started from scratch.

In my case, an ATSC tuner was all that was required...

-gmd

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just learning about OTA in Brampton

Kevin S said:
If you are fortunate enough to live in a good area for OTA, it is fairly cheap. My complete OTA setup cost me $140:cool:
I like the sound of that ($140). I have been reading about OTA and would like to get my feet wet, so to speak. Can you tell me what your set-up is. TY:D

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
tataynik, the major cost is the antenna which can be a few bucks to a few hundred depending on what you need.

My recommendation is check the OTA threads relevant to your area and see what people are using there and what they are receiving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hugh said:
tataynik, the major cost is the antenna which can be a few bucks to a few hundred depending on what you need.

My recommendation is check the OTA threads relevant to your area and see what people are using there and what they are receiving.
I live in Brampton and based on the postings for Brampton/Missisauga area, the receptions have been good. I dont really need much, just a few HD channels & I'll be happy. That is why the $140 set-up sounded good to me. Any recommendations?;)

Just read "Kevin S"'s post on another thread, I guess his $140 was just the antenna.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
295 Posts
tataynik said:
...Just read "Kevin S"'s post on another thread, I guess his $140 was just the antenna.
That covered the Antenna (Wade 4bay 1483), 2 10' 1.25" masts (stacked), and 75' of outdoor RG6 cable. I added a couple supports for another $20 afterwords. Posts from another thread have been added here now - my specific breakdown is above (post 32).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm with Kevin S:

$65.00 for Wade 1483 4bay antenna - NuTech
$14.95 for 75' RG6 outdoor cable - NuTech
$16.87 for a 10' mast (cut to 5') - Home Depot

Contrary to stampeder's recommendations in the post below I installed the antenna in the attic over my garage.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29559

I live ~40km East of Kitchener, which is ~95 km from the Buffalo transmitters and ~55km from TO. If I point at Buffalo I still get enough signal from TO to get a total of 14 DTV stations using the ATSC tuner included in BEV's 9200 PVR. All the major networks in HD plus a few others.

No tower, no rotor, no weather concerns, no "eyesore" complaints from neighbors. Plus I can record on the PVR.

Maybe I will cancel the $10/month I pay BEV for the HD channels ...

·
Registered
387 Posts
well, I started out by getting the ATI HDTV Wonder $150US incl shipping (from an online store in NY). That wet my appetite for DTV, so I went and bought a 32" Sony Bravia XBR which has a built-in ATSC tuner for $4000 after tax and 3yr Futureshop warrenty. I then bought the Winegard Sharpshooter for $100US (from an online store in IL).

So if I convert all costs to CDN, it comes to $4,300. If you don't count the TV, it's just $300. Not bad, considering I can record HD on my computer, and play it back on the TV, since it's hooked up to my computer.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
blakew said:
If you don't count the TV, it's just $300.
Nope, we don't count the TV or other HT gear, just the OTA equipment so that people know realistically what to expect for it.

21 - 40 of 277 Posts