• The sky's the limit. I need the best!

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • I'm broke, you insensitive clod!

Votes: 38 4.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
My story is basically the same as MelG. Can't justify the cost of a tower so built a reflectorless M4 for about $20 and spent an extra $20 for chimney mounting hardware. I tried a couple of commercial antennas since then but they couldn't beat the M4 for my location. The other costs were tuners for HTPC. Tried a couple of Hauphauge cards but settled on a HDHomerun dual. Added a preamp but it doesn't make much difference with the HDHomerun. The final tally of components actually in use is about $220. The total for all things tried, whether in use or not, is about $550.

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
My current OTA gear consists of a home brew M4, preamp, 12' mast, chimney straps and 2 HDHomerun tuners. Total cost was in the neighborhood of $380. Almost two thirds of that was the 2 HDHomerun tuners. I also have a HTPC/PVR that does recording for viewing on HTPCs and media players. That was a soft cost since most of the parts are from an old HTPC. To build from new parts it would cost about $400. I won't count the HTPCs since they were in use prior to any OTA setup. The preamp (about $60) isn't really doing any good so it will get swapped out at some point, probably when I raise the antenna 5' - 10' at some point.

3 TiVo PVRs $800 each
$2400 for TiVos. :eek: I'm impressed. I thought I splurged on HTPCs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts