Votes: 22 2.3%
  • I'm broke, you insensitive clod!

Votes: 38 4.0%
1 - 19 of 25 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of the solutions we recommend here in the OTA Forum could be quite costly, while others represent the price of a carton of smokes or a few cases of beer. Choose your poison, right? ;)

This poll asks which $$$ range you expect/already paid for your OTA system, including any installation costs. This is not about wishes for an ideal top-of-the-line system unless you really want/have one.

It is just a gauge of popular expectations/findings about OTA expenses.

We'll keep this thread to examples of dollars and cents spent on OTA gear alone and not HDTVs, AVRs, projectors, etc.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely a pattern forming. Most people will likely pay less than $1,000 it seems, while nobody expects to lose their shirt on the deal. :) Of course many people who go OTA are already counting the $$$ they will save over some or all of their DBS or CATV costs.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So what are you complaining about?

Considering that we have had an ongoing poll here of what people have been paying for OTA gear, and that I personally have always said that OTA HD programming is free of charge to the consumer and that if a person cancels part or all of their CATV or DBS HD programming the OTA gear will pay for itself over time, and that DHCers themselves are seeing that the picture quality is the best you can get, and that I have said that we must respect the decisions of others:

WHAT PART OF THAT DIDN'T YOU GET, Dark_Breaka? ;)

Why come into my living room and kick my dog? If I came to Best Buy where you work, Dark_Breaka, how would you feel if I totally disregarded anything you said and then complained to everyone about it?

Folks, there is a "Pros & Cons of Going OTA" thread here too, and this has all been covered there. Remember that the OTA Forum is a Knowledge Base, so use it before you buy things or knock people for their programming choices.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Cost of entry into the world of Digital OTA

Truth in advertising - if I was to list every dime I've spent on OTA over the years you'd know just how geeky I am about it... :D

This poll is to give people a real-world sense of the cost of entry into the world of OTA.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Mik, after reading the posts you made about the whole installation ordeal you went through I wish that there was a way to go back in time and have another installer do it for you. Too bad you had to go through all that. Too bad they had obviously never been to the DHC OTA forum to get the facts!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hi Hasan, I always enjoy seeing the creative ways people join the OTA world! :)

I'm just adding that there are some important things that worked in your favour that other people will most likely have trouble with:
  1. the Brampton/Oakville/Mississauga area is directly in the signal path of the Buffalo stations, so people in your area tend to get the best U.S. reception of all Southern Ontario locations
  2. if your cheap antenna from China lasts for a long time and continues to do a good job I will be delighted for you, but I cannot recommend such gear when there are well known, proven products out there that always work when setup correctly

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Just a reminder about the pricing...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=353571&postcount=41
Hi-Def-Jam-Dr-Jazzy-Jay said:
ATI HDTV Wonder PCI card = $100 (TigerDirect.ca)

HDTV signal:

Antenna CM 4221 = $65 (thanks to Yaamon)
Pre-Amp CM 7777 = $73 (www partsforhdtv com on Esna Park Drive in Markham)

Misc:

Splitters = $2 a piece from (partsforhdtv com)
30m RG6 Cable and ends = $14 (partsforhdtv com)
< $300 ;)

Great info though!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
hungt1999 said:
However this is a good hobby that has given me so many hours of pleasure.
You've got me thinking (shaking my head, actually!) over what my lifetime OTA expenses must be by now for my OTA hobby... :D I can't even guess!

Anyways if I was just starting out now I'd probably not have to pay much at all since my HDTV has an ATSC tuner and I'd build my own SBGH antenna for the cost of the parts. That would leave just the cost of coax cable, splitters, etc. so the total cost would be near about $100. :)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
The "Less that $100" count has crept up a bit recently. The "$100 to $500" count has dropped about a percentage point in only a couple of weeks, and the other counts have remained about the same.

I think this is symbolic of the fact that so many urban dwellers can now get Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, and Toronto digital stations OTA with an inexpensive indoor antenna. Calgary will be coming online soon in the same fashion. Its also symbolic of the fact that more OTA fans are building their own antennas (make sure its a GH).

Just a reminder to potential voters that the cost figure only includes OTA Gear. :)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
DIY Top Quality Antenna and HD PVR for very low $$$

Are you a Do-It-Yourselfer with computer skills who is handy with tools and wants a superior OTA antenna with a fully functional PC-based HD PVR for OTA recordings? These will show you how to have the best of each, for very little money:
Which Gray-Hoverman TV Antenna Should I Build? (approximately $30 for parts)

Bow Tie Antenna Designs (mclapp's M4 & M8 featured) (approximately $30 for parts)

Easily Build A Cheap Brand New Fully Functional HD PVR (approximately $350 to $500 for parts)​
And some important advice to keep you from wasting your time and money:

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Poll is a reliable indicator of OTA costs per user

We just hit 600 poll replies after just over 4 years and the numbers have trended almost straight since about the 50th post - that's the sign of a very representative poll, so we can treat this as a reliable indicator of one-time OTA gear costs per user. :) If you haven't taken this poll, please go ahead but be sure to read Post #1 first.

1 - 19 of 25 Posts