• The sky's the limit. I need the best!

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • I'm broke, you insensitive clod!

Votes: 38 4.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
You could probably get this whole setup for $50-100 if you have a pickup or flatbed as it appears they are throwing it out. Doesn't even look rusty. In the Windsor/Essex, ON area.

It's on Kijiji in the Windsor, ON area if you are interested.

My current setup cost me $30 from Amazon and about $50 for coax and mounting supplies. Gets all my locals and my old school Yagi is still up on my tower, doing nothing :cry:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Currently I am using a straightened-out paperclip to watch games that are on CBC. Longer term I suspect I'll mount a 2 or 4-bay bowtie in the attic, run coax to the basement where cable is split to run to the various outlets throughout the house and add a signal amplifier. I can get the antenna for around $50 on Amazon, amplifier is around $60, installation will be around $200-300 but that's a WAG. But I don't know if any of that would be worth the hassle unless I add something to record OTA (like a Tablo -- that would probably double the cost, not counting EPG subscription).
You don't need a subscription to use Tablo if a 24hr guide is good for you. I have the Tablo for about a week and you get a free 1 month subscription of the 14 day Guide.

I could get by with 30 channels with an indoor Rabbit Ears on the Tablo, but I lost some channels by walking around the house and at night. I connected it to my outdoor antenna and now have 56.

·
Registered
346 Posts
In my area I think I can get 5 or 6 channels. CBC, Global, CityTV, TVOntario and a couple French stations. Not close enough to the US to pick up any stations without a mast and a more substantial aerial. Been surviving on Netflix, Prime and a little bit of AppleTV. Contemplating swapping out Netflix for Crave for a few months. Sports can be a bit of a problem.
If you are more than 65 Miles (105 km) away, don't bother spending the money. You could spend a bunch and not add much to your channel guide.

If I didn't have Detroit in my backyard, I'd be watching hours of Corner Gas and Seinfeld reruns... with a lot of CBC hockey. Luckily I have a lot of choices. My FM dial is pretty full too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts