• The sky's the limit. I need the best!

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • I'm broke, you insensitive clod!

Votes: 38 4.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm just starting out, so far my cost is a few pennies. I took a paperclip, unbent it, and stuck one end in the cable/antenna input. I'm located in Kanata North (west-end suburb of Ottawa) and am located roughly half-way between the Camp Fortune transmission tower and the one in Manotick (about 15 miles from each). Got all the stations that TVFool report said I would get with an indoor antenna except for CJOH (it's the only one that is on VHF-Hi and I take it a paperclip is not the best for VHF reception). However taking the paperclip to the upstairs TV added CJOH. We're moving next month to Kanata South, which brings me a lot closer to the Manotick station (which transmits at a much lower power -- I wasn't getting any of those stations). I intend to build an 8-bat coat-hanger bowtie antenna and likely stick it up in the attic. Then add a tablo+drive, unless someone tells me there are better options for making a PVR. Is there a general Tablo forum here?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Currently I am using a straightened-out paperclip to watch games that are on CBC. Longer term I suspect I'll mount a 2 or 4-bay bowtie in the attic, run coax to the basement where cable is split to run to the various outlets throughout the house and add a signal amplifier. I can get the antenna for around $50 on Amazon, amplifier is around $60, installation will be around $200-300 but that's a WAG. But I don't know if any of that would be worth the hassle unless I add something to record OTA (like a Tablo -- that would probably double the cost, not counting EPG subscription).

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
In my area I think I can get 5 or 6 channels. CBC, Global, CityTV, TVOntario and a couple French stations. Not close enough to the US to pick up any stations without a mast and a more substantial aerial. Been surviving on Netflix, Prime and a little bit of AppleTV. Contemplating swapping out Netflix for Crave for a few months. Sports can be a bit of a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts