Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it change depending on the package you get? I just bought a new tv and want to use my old tv in a bedroom.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes. Depends on which package you are currently subscribed to. Call in to the call center and see what will work for your needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I wasn't clear. I want to know the monthly cost of a second tv in a household when you have a $60 package. After doing some investigation, I notice it does say that with my digital package, it includes 4 terminals. I guess that's the answer to my question.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No monthly charge, but there will be a $25 install fee if there is no cable there already.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
A Classic cable package ($62.95 after rate adjustment on Sept 1) can have up to 4 outlets included in the package at no additional monthly charge. If the outlets are there but not activated Shaw can come out and activate them however there would be a charge of $9.95 to roll a tech (not per outlet just a flat $9.95). If there is no outlet there then it would be $24.95 to wire in and activate the outlet ($25.95 per outlet installed).

·
Registered
536 Posts
What, pray tell, is "activating" an existing outlet?

And while we're at it, what precisely, is the definition of an "outlet"? How are they counted? Is an "outlet" a separate feed from the outside cable plant or just the output of a n-way splitter coming off a single feed from outside?

If I have, say, a single cable feed from outside and, after splitting off Internet via a 2-way splitter first, I use a 4-way splitter to feed four rooms and each room has, say, a 3-way splitter feeding an analog TV, a DCT and a PVR, how many "outlets" would I actually have? One, four, 12?

I have always wondered. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You would have 12 "active" outlets and as such would have to pay additional monthly fees for them. An "Active" outlet is an outlet that has cable service working on it. Internet gets 1 outlet for free. Full Cable can have up to 4 active outlets as part of most packages and then there are additional monthly charges above that. Basic Cable includes 1 active outlet and if you have phone or internet this allows you to have up to 4 active outlets in your package at no charge. If you don't have additional services with basic cable then the 2nd-4th outlets are a total of $5/month additional charge.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's about what I feared you might say, Shaw Guru. Thanks.

Wouldn't many people now have configurations that exceed their allotted four included outlets? If outlets 2- 4, when charged, cost $5/monht what might outlets 5 through 12 cost? Just curious, mind you. Is it possible that Shaw routinely waives such fees? Also, if one is charged for such "outlets" then does one have the right to expect more feeds into the house rather than just one with a gigantic tree of splitters coming off it?

Also, in this context, if I add a splitter to an existing "outlet" what is Shaw's role in "activating" it? I am still a little puzzled (nothing unusual there mind you.;))

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Charges for 5+ should be an additional $5/month. Usually any time a tech is in a customer's home they should be confirming the number of outlets in use and ensure they are working properly.
Surprisingly many customers usually have 3-4 TVs in their home. Us technofiles have many more. (6 for me) but that's not always the norm.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, with 3- 4 PVRs that's already 3-4 outlets. Add a splitter to each room to feed analog signals to the TVs or a regular DCT (for use when the PVRs dual tuners are busy recording programs and you want to watch a third, live program) then we are already at 6 to 8 outlets. The outlet count seems to add up very quickly, even for a relatively modest number, 3-4, of TVs. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Years ago there was a court ruling that made it legal for 'subscribers' to 'split' the signal coming into their home as many times as they want. As long as you were paying for the service, once inside your home, it was up to you how many connections there were to it. This started with telephone service and grew to included cable service, IIRC. The one caveat to this is: if you install any equipment that causes any problems to the provider's system, they can charge you to repair the affected system. This can include fixing any signal problems you might create inside your home.

In my many years of experience in dealing with different cable companies, I have never been 'charged' for 'extra outlets' and have regularly been supplied with splitters by those companies' employees so I can have multiple (often many more than 4) 'outlets' in my home. One big change that the Cable Cos made in order to regain some 'lost revenue' was to change up to the encrypted signals that require the use of one of their STBs. If you recall, there used to be a charge for each STB you had connected. Now, Shaw has even dropped that fee so I can't see that they are overly concerned about how many outlets you have, just that you are subscribing to their service.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Jetranger, your experience matches mine, in recent years but I was curious about how Shaw saw it and how exactly Shaw counted outlets. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to ask. Thanks for weighing in too.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
the ruling that you can split your signal as many times in your home will no longer apply once the cableco's turn off analogue..

they won't care how many outlets you have anymore, but they may restrict on how many stb's you are allowed inside of your house by your plan, if you have basic cable, they may let u have 2 dct's, if u have vip, maybe 4, if you have ultimate, maybe 8 stb's etc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shaw - additional outlets charge for only have 2 boxes

Hi here,

Just wonder does everyone need to pay the 5 dollars additional outlets charge ($5) on their shaw service? The charge does not show on the shaw invoice. I found out the charge when I went online and used the "View My Account History." function. I called Shaw. The rep gave me those BS:"blah ... blah... everyone paid for it...blah","blah...blah...you ask me to take the charge out is like asking me to take out the tax ... blah ...blah...","blah...blah...why call us for only a $5 charge ..blah..." for 10 mins. So, now I really wonder does anyone check out this $5 additional outlets charge online :rolleyes:

cheers,
RL

·
Registered
169 Posts
My experience has been that the $5.00 charge for extra outlets shows in the "View Account History" but on the invoice it is not shown as a separate item but is netted against any bundle or multiple services discount (TV plus phone or internet).

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wonder is it a common occurance to have 1 TV connected three seperate outlets as Kritiker has described? I have connected cable to both my dual tuner HD-PVR with an HDMI cable to my TV's internal NTSC tuner. Why would someone want an aditional STB in their TV setup?

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's easy. If your PVR is already recording two programs and you wish to watch a third, then either an analog connection to the TV (analog channels only) or a second STB (all channels) is needed to watch that program. I wouldn't think using all three is all that common, though. I was using that as an example for illustration purposes.

The advantage to the STB is that it gets all channels and the advantage to the analog TV connection is simpler operation: only the TV remote is needed and one doesn't have to move the IR receiver cover (to prevent the wrong device from reacting to the remote) from one device's (PVR or STB) IR receiver to the other.

I use the PVR & STB approach myself and have made a cover that I move from the PVR to the STB and vice versa depending upon which device I want to control via the remote. I am actually going to use the wired IR receivers and make tiny covers so I just have to cover one or other of the wired IR receivers instead of the whole PVR or STB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts