Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched some Youtube videos showing Android 2.2 running on older generation iPhones.

I am curious to know when you folks think Android 2.2 will be up and running on iPhone 4?

I want an Android phone. But given that the iPhone 4 is being released in Canada in a month or so I am thinking about buying it and then waiting to install Android 2.2 once the tech folks figure out how to install it. Any idea how long that will take (based on attempts with previous generation iPhones)?

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help me out please. Can you name an Android 2.2 phone for Rogers that supports multitouch in its hardware (software already taken care of since it is Android 2.2).

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize this but the Nexus 1 is still not subsidized. It is a waste of money to buy it outright and then sign up for a 3 year contract.

---

I guess my other option is to buy a N1 and then do pay as you go. But how much does Pay as You Go cost with 500 meg/month data with 250 outgoing texts and maybe about 150 minute talk time (which is my estimated use).

I have never had a cell phone outside of a contract.. so I have no idea how any of this works.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
If you are worried about a subsidy then sign up for an iPhone plan and then just sell it and use the N1.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I guess my other option is to buy a N1 and then do pay as you go. But how much does Pay as You Go cost with 500 meg/month data with 250 outgoing texts and maybe about 150 minute talk time (which is my estimated use).

I have never had a cell phone outside of a contract.. so I have no idea how any of this works.
You can buy an N1 and still sign a contract - you might get a better monthly rate for voice minutes and data by doing so (and, of course, you WILL have a contract if you go for the "get a subsidized Iphone, sell it, buy the N1" option).

You can also go PAYG and have various options for data. For e.g., I'm using my N1 with a Rogers PAYG account with no data - I get data via WIFI 95% of the time (home & work) and on those rare occasions I can't get a WIFI connection (e.g. at the cottage a couple times a summer), I can pay $2.99 for 24 hour/20 MB data access. I haven't looked into it yet, but I presume I can also get data on a "month to month" basis (i.e. no contract) if I expect to be outside of WIFI territory for an extended period of time or if I expect to burn up 20MB pretty quickly (i.e. tether, especially when Froyo 2.2 arrives, which apparently turns an N1 into a MIFI!!!).

Bottom line - lots of options when you have an unlocked WIFI capable smart phone.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Back to the original question - there's nothing serious about installations of one OS on hardware not designed for it. It's just a hackers exercise, it has zero practical value, and the best they can achieve is to be mentioned on geeky gadget websites. The only reliable software that can run on an iPhone is Apple's OS, more specifically the unhacked (not jailbroken) version of it. The term "reliablity" is not even applicable to Android on iPhone -those hacks don't work beyond the home screen and one or two functions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts