Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted some input as to how long Shaw has been offering contracts for service?

- another TELUS tech

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had customers of mine assure me that they were offered incentives to cancel their OptikTV order if they would stay with Shaw and sign a 3 year contract.

I'm well aware of Shaw's no contract claims, so these reports from my customers have been abit puzzleing. Nevertheless these customers have no reason to lie to me and there have now been several, so thats why I've posted this thread.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hey Wiremonkey, Shaw definately has no contracts. The only incentive I can think of is the offer talked about on page 3 in this thread: Shaw programming packages and pricing discussion for 2011

One HDPVR free 3 years and then it's a gift from Shaw thanking you for being with all three services
Basically if you sign with Shaw for all 3 services Shaw will give a free rental HDPVR for 3 years and then we will actually give it to the customer completely free with a lifetime warranty out of respect of loyalty. There are no cancellation fees and the customer can cancel anytime. The customer can also freely change their package around anytime. The only stipulation is that if they remove a service or two then the HDPVR starts charging a rental fee.

Maybe this is it?

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I don't know if Shaw has anything similar, however Rogers provides bundle discounts for people willing to stay with Rogers for a specific time - say 2-3 years. There is no written contract per se (you just talk to a CSR), but if the customer leaves Rogers before the end of the time period, there is a prescribed penalty for doing so, although the penalty is pretty small when compared to the potential savings, which can typically be 20-30% of the bill (and/or free equipment) depending on your bundle and negotiating skills.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Better off to just spend every other year with Telus or Shaw and with the money you save from promos you'll have a HDPVR for Telus and an HDPVR for Shaw in a couple years. Keep the options open.
sorry off topic I'm sure

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are definitely no contracts at all. The only thing I can think of is what Shaw Champ has mentioned.

They are likely being offered a free PVR rental as part of a triple play promotion - but this does not come with a cancellation fee, and is just part of the promotion. If the customer keeps all 3 services (any level of each service, which can be changed at any time) for 3 years, the PVR is then owned by the customer.

If they drop one (or more) of the services at any time in the first 3 years, they have the option of either continuing to rent the PVR for $24.95/month, or simply return it at no cost to them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since when does Shaw have contracts?

I am with shaw right now (bundle phone, internet, and TV) and my current deal expires in a few days. I have been shopping around and Telus can offer similar level of service for $30 a month less regular price. With current new customer offers I can save over $500 in the first year.

Shaw had no interest in enticing me to stay and in fact, said that if we want to reduce our programming we would have to sign a 2 year contract?

Has anybody else experienced this? The person was downright rude. The one thing shaw had going for it was excellent CS and the last few calls to them have left a really bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I read that thread but it was closed so I couldn't comment on it.

A few people in that thread are sure they (Shaw) don't have contracts so I am wondering what this CS rep was saying? Was that a ploy to get me to stay? A bit backwards if you ask me. "If you stay with us we can reduce your service, but only if you commit to a 2 year contract, even though you aren't under any current obligation."

Weird

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
As with every company, not every service rep is always right.

There are no contracts with Shaw. The only thing remotely close is the free PVR promo that lets you get a free PVR if you stay Triple Play for three years. If you end one service before the three years, the PVR converts to a rental or you can simply return it to Shaw with no additional fee. Sometime people confuse that with a contract like you get from Rogers, Bell, or Telus with a cell phone where the hardware subsidy is clawed back through an early cancellation fee. That is not the case with Shaw.

The short and long answer is: there are no contracts with Shaw. I would try and different CSR or escalate to a Supervisor if you're not getting clear information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would interpret what he said as that if you want discounted services your only other option is to sign a 2 year contract with the "other" guys. Did he specifically offer you a 2 year contract with Shaw?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
People read. There are no contracts so we don't need anymore threads.

Merged and keeping closed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks like Shaw might be doing Contracts.

I just noticed Shaw updated their website in the last day or two. And BAM! right there on the first page is this:

"Sign up before May 31, 2011 and get a Three-Year Rate Guarantee† on your services —
Personal TV and the Internet and Personal Home Phone service you choose."

So if you sign up (?) you get a 3 year rate guarantee. That is how Telus used to market their contracts, calling it "Price Protection"

Comments?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As Hugh has pointed out several times and we would like to say again..Shaw does not do contracts. The 3 year price protection is just that protecting your price for the next 3 years. You are free to change you package at any time and cancel if you would like. The price protection is as long as you maintain phone, cable and internet (in any level) on your account. No contracts just responding to customer's requests to have a regular long term base price that will not be affected by any rate increases.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.